Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 2:39 pm
D-backs manager: Prefer to have Cody Ross start season on DL
Out with a calf injury since early March, Ross has totaled just seven at bats in four games. Though the player and team were initially hoping the 32-year-old would be ready for Opening Day, that has appeared less and less likely as time has gone on and Ross has yet to return to the field.
And, if Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has his way, Ross will still be in the dugout watching the action when the team takes the field on April 1 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we're getting close," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo about a return. "But my thought is I'd prefer him to start on the disabled list.
"We don't need him to rush back and injure it and be out another 6-8 weeks."
Gibson said it's best for the team to "have resolution" to the injury, making sure Ross can play every day when he is able to play again.
So, with no Ross and no Adam Eaton, who is out with his own ailment, it appears the D-backs will open the season with Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and AJ Pollock in the outfield.
"Possible," Gibson said of that group.
Gibson said Pollock, who hit .247 with two home runs and eight RBI in 81 at bats last season, is "a very solid ballplayer in all aspects."
"He's hit the ball, he's got a little bit of pop, can go the other way; a little better off lefties. Very good outfielder, makes all the right plays."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.