Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 2:39 pm
D-backs manager: Prefer to have Cody Ross start season on DL
Out with a calf injury since early March, Ross has totaled just seven at bats in four games. Though the player and team were initially hoping the 32-year-old would be ready for Opening Day, that has appeared less and less likely as time has gone on and Ross has yet to return to the field.
And, if Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson has his way, Ross will still be in the dugout watching the action when the team takes the field on April 1 against the St. Louis Cardinals.
"I think we're getting close," Gibson told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo about a return. "But my thought is I'd prefer him to start on the disabled list.
"We don't need him to rush back and injure it and be out another 6-8 weeks."
Gibson said it's best for the team to "have resolution" to the injury, making sure Ross can play every day when he is able to play again.
So, with no Ross and no Adam Eaton, who is out with his own ailment, it appears the D-backs will open the season with Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra and AJ Pollock in the outfield.
"Possible," Gibson said of that group.
Gibson said Pollock, who hit .247 with two home runs and eight RBI in 81 at bats last season, is "a very solid ballplayer in all aspects."
"He's hit the ball, he's got a little bit of pop, can go the other way; a little better off lefties. Very good outfielder, makes all the right plays."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.