Updated Mar 26, 2013 - 6:36 pm
'Gritty' D-backs ranked low in CBS Sports power rankings
Two-time All-Star Justin Upton was traded to Atlanta in exchange for third baseman Martin Prado, pitcher Randall Delgado and others.
Pitcher Trevor Bauer, the third-overall draft pick in the 2011 draft, was sent to Cleveland in a three-team deal that landed the D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius.
The team also added outfielders Cody Ross and Tony Campana along with third baseman Eric Chavez, among others, while bolstering its pitching staff with the acquisitions of Brandon McCarthy and Heath Bell.
Still, CBSSports.com baseball writer Matt Snyder wasn't impressed by the team's moves. In his pre-season power rankings the D-backs stand at 19, right ahead of the Pirates, Yankees and Red Sox.
After trading his best player and most promising starting pitcher, general manager Kevin Towers said he wanted his team to get grittier. Generally speaking, that means less talented, in my opinion. Think about it. Do you ever hear Miguel Cabrera, Matt Kemp or Andrew McCutchen called gritty? Nope. They're just incredible baseball players. And, yes, they do hustle and work hard. I'll take more of those. You can have your "gritty" Tony Campanas.
Contrary to Snyder's opinion, "grittiness" is not the only thing the D-backs may have acquired.
There's no doubt Upton is extremely talented and it's never easy parting with a player of his caliber, but in return the D-backs received a disciplined hitter who struck out 52 times less than the 25-year-old outfielder in 2012 and has 32 more hits over the past four seasons.
As for Gregorius, the shortstop has hit .458 in 24 at-bats this spring, while Ross accounted for 22 home runs and 81 RBI with the Red Sox last season.
Then there's Campana, who swiped 54 bags in two seasons for the Cubs, and will provide a threat on the base paths for Arizona.
So are the D-backs grittier? Maybe. But there's a chance they'll also be better, and that's what it's all about.
- Does Arizona Diamondbacks pitcher Trevor Cahill pitch better when Tuffy Gosewich is catching?
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.