Updated Mar 24, 2013 - 7:53 pm
D-backs defeat Mariners at Salt River Fields
The D-backs fell behind 4-1 in the top of the third, but bounced back in the bottom of the frame, scoring five runs off of veteran southpaw Joe Saunders to capture a 6-4 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Paul Goldschmidt mashed his second home run of the spring, scoring Aaron Hill and raising the team's total to eight runs.
Wade Miley surrendered four runs on six hits, including two long balls over 3.1 innings of work. However, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson seemed to be pleased with his left-hander's outing, calling it a step in the right direction.
Miley struggled early, giving up a leadoff solo home run to Franklin Gutierrez, and continued to labor over the next 3.1 innings. In the third, Kendrys Morales took Miley deep for a three-run bomb that gave the Mariners a 4-1 lead.
Jason Kubel's rough spring at the plate continued, as his average dropped to .154 after going 0-for-3 with two strikeouts on the day.
"It's not something I wanted to talk about," said Kirk Gibson when asked if he imagined discussing a thin outfield prior to the start of Spring Training. "I'm aware that things can happen in Spring Training, you have to evaluate as you go. When we get towards Opening Day, we'll see what we've got and we'll go from there."
• Arizona is now 8-5-1 in its last 14 games.
• The attendance for the game was 12,864, making it the eighth straight sellout, as well as a Salt River Fields record.
The Diamondbacks have a day off on Monday before hosting the Los Angeles Angels at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.