Updated Mar 24, 2013 - 7:53 pm
D-backs defeat Mariners at Salt River Fields
The D-backs fell behind 4-1 in the top of the third, but bounced back in the bottom of the frame, scoring five runs off of veteran southpaw Joe Saunders to capture a 6-4 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Paul Goldschmidt mashed his second home run of the spring, scoring Aaron Hill and raising the team's total to eight runs.
Wade Miley surrendered four runs on six hits, including two long balls over 3.1 innings of work. However, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson seemed to be pleased with his left-hander's outing, calling it a step in the right direction.
Miley struggled early, giving up a leadoff solo home run to Franklin Gutierrez, and continued to labor over the next 3.1 innings. In the third, Kendrys Morales took Miley deep for a three-run bomb that gave the Mariners a 4-1 lead.
Jason Kubel's rough spring at the plate continued, as his average dropped to .154 after going 0-for-3 with two strikeouts on the day.
"It's not something I wanted to talk about," said Kirk Gibson when asked if he imagined discussing a thin outfield prior to the start of Spring Training. "I'm aware that things can happen in Spring Training, you have to evaluate as you go. When we get towards Opening Day, we'll see what we've got and we'll go from there."
• Arizona is now 8-5-1 in its last 14 games.
• The attendance for the game was 12,864, making it the eighth straight sellout, as well as a Salt River Fields record.
The Diamondbacks have a day off on Monday before hosting the Los Angeles Angels at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.