Updated Mar 24, 2013 - 7:53 pm
D-backs defeat Mariners at Salt River Fields
The D-backs fell behind 4-1 in the top of the third, but bounced back in the bottom of the frame, scoring five runs off of veteran southpaw Joe Saunders to capture a 6-4 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Paul Goldschmidt mashed his second home run of the spring, scoring Aaron Hill and raising the team's total to eight runs.
Wade Miley surrendered four runs on six hits, including two long balls over 3.1 innings of work. However, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson seemed to be pleased with his left-hander's outing, calling it a step in the right direction.
Miley struggled early, giving up a leadoff solo home run to Franklin Gutierrez, and continued to labor over the next 3.1 innings. In the third, Kendrys Morales took Miley deep for a three-run bomb that gave the Mariners a 4-1 lead.
Jason Kubel's rough spring at the plate continued, as his average dropped to .154 after going 0-for-3 with two strikeouts on the day.
"It's not something I wanted to talk about," said Kirk Gibson when asked if he imagined discussing a thin outfield prior to the start of Spring Training. "I'm aware that things can happen in Spring Training, you have to evaluate as you go. When we get towards Opening Day, we'll see what we've got and we'll go from there."
• Arizona is now 8-5-1 in its last 14 games.
• The attendance for the game was 12,864, making it the eighth straight sellout, as well as a Salt River Fields record.
The Diamondbacks have a day off on Monday before hosting the Los Angeles Angels at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.