Updated Mar 24, 2013 - 7:53 pm
D-backs defeat Mariners at Salt River Fields
The D-backs fell behind 4-1 in the top of the third, but bounced back in the bottom of the frame, scoring five runs off of veteran southpaw Joe Saunders to capture a 6-4 lead.
In the bottom of the fifth, Paul Goldschmidt mashed his second home run of the spring, scoring Aaron Hill and raising the team's total to eight runs.
Wade Miley surrendered four runs on six hits, including two long balls over 3.1 innings of work. However, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson seemed to be pleased with his left-hander's outing, calling it a step in the right direction.
Miley struggled early, giving up a leadoff solo home run to Franklin Gutierrez, and continued to labor over the next 3.1 innings. In the third, Kendrys Morales took Miley deep for a three-run bomb that gave the Mariners a 4-1 lead.
Jason Kubel's rough spring at the plate continued, as his average dropped to .154 after going 0-for-3 with two strikeouts on the day.
"It's not something I wanted to talk about," said Kirk Gibson when asked if he imagined discussing a thin outfield prior to the start of Spring Training. "I'm aware that things can happen in Spring Training, you have to evaluate as you go. When we get towards Opening Day, we'll see what we've got and we'll go from there."
• Arizona is now 8-5-1 in its last 14 games.
• The attendance for the game was 12,864, making it the eighth straight sellout, as well as a Salt River Fields record.
The Diamondbacks have a day off on Monday before hosting the Los Angeles Angels at 7:10 p.m. on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.