Updated Mar 23, 2013 - 7:28 am
With Adam Eaton out, Gerardo Parra is an easy choice to start in center field
On Friday, the D-backs announced that they would be without speedy center fielder Adam Eaton for 6-8 weeks as he recovers from a UCL sprain in his left elbow.
However, Arizona won't have to look too far to find a replacement for ESPN.com's No. 1 impact prospect of 2013.
Manager Kirk Gibson need not look further than the only remaining outfielder from the 2011 NL West Championship team, Gerardo Parra.
While the D-backs manager didn't officially say that Parra would be the starting center fielder Friday, he seemed to be leaning towards him for the position.
"[Parra] has played a lot of center," Gibson said. "Pollock has not. So for right now [Parra] will play a couple days of center field and we'll continue to evaluate that."
Parra, who won a Gold Glove in left field during that 2011 campaign, is arguably the most defensively-sound player on the D-backs roster.
When asked about just how good the outfield could be defensively with him at center, Parra confidently responded by saying they would be "the best, the best in the National League."
Parra has never been a player who's been known for his offense, as he hit .273 with seven home runs and 36 RBI in spot duty at the plate last season. But with a career .280 average and a cannon of a left arm, Parra would be a suitable replacement for Eaton in centerfield for the first month of the season.
"I feel great," said Parra. "I'm just ready for the opportunity; ready to play my game."
It's just up to Kirk Gibson to give him that opportunity.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.