Updated Mar 23, 2013 - 7:28 am
With Adam Eaton out, Gerardo Parra is an easy choice to start in center field
On Friday, the D-backs announced that they would be without speedy center fielder Adam Eaton for 6-8 weeks as he recovers from a UCL sprain in his left elbow.
However, Arizona won't have to look too far to find a replacement for ESPN.com's No. 1 impact prospect of 2013.
Manager Kirk Gibson need not look further than the only remaining outfielder from the 2011 NL West Championship team, Gerardo Parra.
While the D-backs manager didn't officially say that Parra would be the starting center fielder Friday, he seemed to be leaning towards him for the position.
"[Parra] has played a lot of center," Gibson said. "Pollock has not. So for right now [Parra] will play a couple days of center field and we'll continue to evaluate that."
Parra, who won a Gold Glove in left field during that 2011 campaign, is arguably the most defensively-sound player on the D-backs roster.
When asked about just how good the outfield could be defensively with him at center, Parra confidently responded by saying they would be "the best, the best in the National League."
Parra has never been a player who's been known for his offense, as he hit .273 with seven home runs and 36 RBI in spot duty at the plate last season. But with a career .280 average and a cannon of a left arm, Parra would be a suitable replacement for Eaton in centerfield for the first month of the season.
"I feel great," said Parra. "I'm just ready for the opportunity; ready to play my game."
It's just up to Kirk Gibson to give him that opportunity.
Charlie Feinerman, Contributor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.