Updated Mar 21, 2013 - 4:55 pm
D-backs' Hall: Daniel Hudson ahead of schedule
A 16-game winner with a 3.49 ERA, Hudson was expected to be a fixture in the starting rotation once again in 2012, but elbow troubles that led to him needing Tommy John surgery ended his season after just nine starts.
Now Hudson, 26, is working hard to return to the mound, and while D-backs president Derrick Hall says the right-hander is on track, he admits the team has to make sure he doesn't push too hard.
"There's no reason to force him along or rush him, and we've had to convince him of that," Hall told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Thursday. "Because he feels so good he wants to get out there and speed up his rehabilitation."
While the D-backs would certainly like to get Hudson back, Hall said there is no rush because the team has quality pitching depth. Even without Hudson, Kirk Gibson's squad is ready to roll out a group that includes Ian Kennedy, Trevor Cahill, Brandon McCarthy and Wade Miley, with Randall Delgado and Patrick Corbin still battling for the fifth spot in the rotation.
So in a way, having a healthy Hudson would be the proverbial icing on the cake.
"Knowing that he's going to be back at some point midseason is a luxury, but right now, when you don't need him you want to slow him down and get him back on the timing of a normal rehab for Tommy John surgery, but he's going to be fine."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.