Updated Mar 20, 2013 - 11:02 am
Diamondbacks trade John McDonald to Pirates
Well, Wednesday morning the trade was completed, with the D-backs sending McDonald to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named or cash considerations.
McDonald, 38, was acquired by the Diamondbacks late in the 2011 season in the deal that also brought the team Aaron Hill, and his steady glove along with leadership abilities were invaluable to a young team that needed both.
However, with Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington around to play shortstop and Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings, it became apparent the team had little use (or playing time) for McDonald. Thus, the team sought out a trade.
McDonald appeared in 89 games with the Diamondbacks and batted .230 with six home runs and 24 RBI.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.