Diamondbacks trade John McDonald to Pirates
Well, Wednesday morning the trade was completed, with the D-backs sending McDonald to the Pittsburgh Pirates for a player to be named or cash considerations.
McDonald, 38, was acquired by the Diamondbacks late in the 2011 season in the deal that also brought the team Aaron Hill, and his steady glove along with leadership abilities were invaluable to a young team that needed both.
However, with Willie Bloomquist and Cliff Pennington around to play shortstop and Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings, it became apparent the team had little use (or playing time) for McDonald. Thus, the team sought out a trade.
McDonald appeared in 89 games with the Diamondbacks and batted .230 with six home runs and 24 RBI.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer