Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs GM: John McDonald trade is 'percolating'
Acquired by the team late in the 2011 season, McDonald has compiled a .230 batting average with six home runs and 24 RBI as a Diamondback, but his value lies more in his defense, leadership and calming clubhouse presence.
Unfortunately, with Cliff Pennington and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- along with Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings -- the team just doesn't really need his services anymore, meaning they are looking to do right by the 38-year-old and trade him somewhere he might get some playing time.
"It's hard," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf of 'having' to move someone like McDonald. "We actually, Gibby and I talked to him [Tuesday] -- we've got a great relationship with Johnny. I told him, you know, 'you're never going to be surprised.'"
Towers said he told McDonald, who who is hitting .250 with a couple RBI this spring, that selfishly he'd like to keep him on the roster. But it simply comes down to numbers, as Towers knows the D-backs cannot carry a 26-man roster, and it appears a deal to move the shortstop is near.
"I told him the clubs that have called, that have interest, and one's percolating pretty good right about now," Towers said. "Would like to put him in an environment where a) he gets to play, and b) that's closer to his home in the northeast."
Towers did not divulge which team is close to acquiring McDonald, but said the reason the move has not yet been agreed to is because the final details have just not been agreed upon.
But, it would appear McDonald is not long for the Diamondbacks, and while no one is excited about that prospect, it appears to be the best for all parties involved.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.