Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs GM: John McDonald trade is 'percolating'
Acquired by the team late in the 2011 season, McDonald has compiled a .230 batting average with six home runs and 24 RBI as a Diamondback, but his value lies more in his defense, leadership and calming clubhouse presence.
Unfortunately, with Cliff Pennington and Willie Bloomquist on the roster -- along with Didi Gregorius waiting in the wings -- the team just doesn't really need his services anymore, meaning they are looking to do right by the 38-year-old and trade him somewhere he might get some playing time.
"It's hard," D-backs GM Kevin Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf of 'having' to move someone like McDonald. "We actually, Gibby and I talked to him [Tuesday] -- we've got a great relationship with Johnny. I told him, you know, 'you're never going to be surprised.'"
Towers said he told McDonald, who who is hitting .250 with a couple RBI this spring, that selfishly he'd like to keep him on the roster. But it simply comes down to numbers, as Towers knows the D-backs cannot carry a 26-man roster, and it appears a deal to move the shortstop is near.
"I told him the clubs that have called, that have interest, and one's percolating pretty good right about now," Towers said. "Would like to put him in an environment where a) he gets to play, and b) that's closer to his home in the northeast."
Towers did not divulge which team is close to acquiring McDonald, but said the reason the move has not yet been agreed to is because the final details have just not been agreed upon.
But, it would appear McDonald is not long for the Diamondbacks, and while no one is excited about that prospect, it appears to be the best for all parties involved.
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Suspensions handed out after Reno Aces and Albuquerque Isotopes brawl
- Arizona Diamondbacks recall Bo Schultz from Triple-A Reno, option Alfredo Marte
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.