Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:26 pm
D-backs' Adam Eaton gets a rare day off
"He's had 56 plate appearances, that's the most. He's played a lot, he's ran the bases a lot," said Gibson. "I just kind of trimmed him out of there, tomorrow (Wednesday) as well."
Monday Gibson took Eaton out after two at-bats that included a single and a triple with a run scored and an RBI against the Dodgers.
Eaton leads the team with 55 at-bats, and is followed by A.J. Pollock with 47 and Paul Goldschmidt with 39 this spring. Eaton has also reached base safely in ten of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18.
Gibson told the media Tuesday morning that he looked at the remaining spring schedule and worked backwards from the end to figure out Eaton's playing time, along with that for the rest of the team.
After enjoying two days of rest, Eaton will play Thursday and Friday and eventually work his way up to nine innings.
This spring Eaton has played in 18 of the Diamondbacks' 24 games.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.