Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:26 pm
D-backs' Adam Eaton gets a rare day off
"He's had 56 plate appearances, that's the most. He's played a lot, he's ran the bases a lot," said Gibson. "I just kind of trimmed him out of there, tomorrow (Wednesday) as well."
Monday Gibson took Eaton out after two at-bats that included a single and a triple with a run scored and an RBI against the Dodgers.
Eaton leads the team with 55 at-bats, and is followed by A.J. Pollock with 47 and Paul Goldschmidt with 39 this spring. Eaton has also reached base safely in ten of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18.
Gibson told the media Tuesday morning that he looked at the remaining spring schedule and worked backwards from the end to figure out Eaton's playing time, along with that for the rest of the team.
After enjoying two days of rest, Eaton will play Thursday and Friday and eventually work his way up to nine innings.
This spring Eaton has played in 18 of the Diamondbacks' 24 games.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.