Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:26 pm
D-backs' Adam Eaton gets a rare day off
"He's had 56 plate appearances, that's the most. He's played a lot, he's ran the bases a lot," said Gibson. "I just kind of trimmed him out of there, tomorrow (Wednesday) as well."
Monday Gibson took Eaton out after two at-bats that included a single and a triple with a run scored and an RBI against the Dodgers.
Eaton leads the team with 55 at-bats, and is followed by A.J. Pollock with 47 and Paul Goldschmidt with 39 this spring. Eaton has also reached base safely in ten of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18.
Gibson told the media Tuesday morning that he looked at the remaining spring schedule and worked backwards from the end to figure out Eaton's playing time, along with that for the rest of the team.
After enjoying two days of rest, Eaton will play Thursday and Friday and eventually work his way up to nine innings.
This spring Eaton has played in 18 of the Diamondbacks' 24 games.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Anderson, Hill, big 7th inning lift Diamondbacks over Rockies: By The Numbers
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.