Updated Mar 19, 2013 - 1:26 pm
D-backs' Adam Eaton gets a rare day off
"He's had 56 plate appearances, that's the most. He's played a lot, he's ran the bases a lot," said Gibson. "I just kind of trimmed him out of there, tomorrow (Wednesday) as well."
Monday Gibson took Eaton out after two at-bats that included a single and a triple with a run scored and an RBI against the Dodgers.
Eaton leads the team with 55 at-bats, and is followed by A.J. Pollock with 47 and Paul Goldschmidt with 39 this spring. Eaton has also reached base safely in ten of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18.
Gibson told the media Tuesday morning that he looked at the remaining spring schedule and worked backwards from the end to figure out Eaton's playing time, along with that for the rest of the team.
After enjoying two days of rest, Eaton will play Thursday and Friday and eventually work his way up to nine innings.
This spring Eaton has played in 18 of the Diamondbacks' 24 games.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.