Delgado, D-backs down Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 Monday at Camelback Ranch in Glendale. With the win, the D-backs have now beaten the Dodgers on consecutive days.
Right-hander Randall Delgado made his fifth appearance this spring for Arizona. The 23-year-old gave up just two earned runs on six hits in five innings of work against Los Angeles.
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings, allowed 20 hits, eight runs, seven earned with three walks and eleven strikeouts overall this spring season.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt hit his first home run of the spring, a solo shot to left center field off of L.A. left-hander Paco Rodriguez in the fourth inning.
The Diamondbacks hit into three double plays in the game.
• Outfielder Adam Eaton has reached base safely in 10 of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18. He recorded a single and a triple on Monday against the Dodgers. Manager Kirk Gibson pulled Eaton from the game after the third inning saying that he had two good at-bats and he's had the most at-bats of anybody on the team this spring.
• Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno prior to the game. Skaggs had struggled in Cactus League play, posting an 0-2 record and an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
He Said It:
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familar with his team, the organization, his catchers. He's just gotta trust his stuff." -- Manager Kirk Gibson on Randall Delgado's confidence growing as the spring has gone on.
The D-backs return to Salt River Fields to host the San Diego Padres on Tuesday. Right-handed closer J.J. Putz is making the start for Arizona. Gibson said that Heath Bell and David Hernandez also likely to pitch Tuesday. Lefty Eric Stults will be on the mound for San Diego. First pitch is 1:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Kevin Towers, D-backs' General Manager - Wednesday May 22Are the D-backs ready for the upcoming MLB June draft? What's the latest on Adam Eaton?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs' Manager - Tuesday May 21Gibby on Pat Corbin, Adam Eaton's return, & Paul Goldschmidt's success.
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!