Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 6:58 pm
Delgado, D-backs down Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 Monday at Camelback Ranch in Glendale. With the win, the D-backs have now beaten the Dodgers on consecutive days.
Right-hander Randall Delgado made his fifth appearance this spring for Arizona. The 23-year-old gave up just two earned runs on six hits in five innings of work against Los Angeles.
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings, allowed 20 hits, eight runs, seven earned with three walks and eleven strikeouts overall this spring season.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt hit his first home run of the spring, a solo shot to left center field off of L.A. left-hander Paco Rodriguez in the fourth inning.
The Diamondbacks hit into three double plays in the game.
• Outfielder Adam Eaton has reached base safely in 10 of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18. He recorded a single and a triple on Monday against the Dodgers. Manager Kirk Gibson pulled Eaton from the game after the third inning saying that he had two good at-bats and he's had the most at-bats of anybody on the team this spring.
• Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno prior to the game. Skaggs had struggled in Cactus League play, posting an 0-2 record and an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
He Said It:
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familar with his team, the organization, his catchers. He's just gotta trust his stuff." -- Manager Kirk Gibson on Randall Delgado's confidence growing as the spring has gone on.
The D-backs return to Salt River Fields to host the San Diego Padres on Tuesday. Right-handed closer J.J. Putz is making the start for Arizona. Gibson said that Heath Bell and David Hernandez also likely to pitch Tuesday. Lefty Eric Stults will be on the mound for San Diego. First pitch is 1:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Report: Daniel Hudson signs minor league deal with Arizona Diamodnbacks
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.