Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 6:58 pm
Delgado, D-backs down Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 5-3 Monday at Camelback Ranch in Glendale. With the win, the D-backs have now beaten the Dodgers on consecutive days.
Right-hander Randall Delgado made his fifth appearance this spring for Arizona. The 23-year-old gave up just two earned runs on six hits in five innings of work against Los Angeles.
Delgado has now thrown 13.2 innings, allowed 20 hits, eight runs, seven earned with three walks and eleven strikeouts overall this spring season.
First baseman Paul Goldschmidt hit his first home run of the spring, a solo shot to left center field off of L.A. left-hander Paco Rodriguez in the fourth inning.
The Diamondbacks hit into three double plays in the game.
• Outfielder Adam Eaton has reached base safely in 10 of his last 12 games and has a hit in 13 of 18. He recorded a single and a triple on Monday against the Dodgers. Manager Kirk Gibson pulled Eaton from the game after the third inning saying that he had two good at-bats and he's had the most at-bats of anybody on the team this spring.
• Left-hander Tyler Skaggs was optioned to Triple-A Reno prior to the game. Skaggs had struggled in Cactus League play, posting an 0-2 record and an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
He Said It:
"I think he's building confidence, no question about it. He's just getting more familar with his team, the organization, his catchers. He's just gotta trust his stuff." -- Manager Kirk Gibson on Randall Delgado's confidence growing as the spring has gone on.
The D-backs return to Salt River Fields to host the San Diego Padres on Tuesday. Right-handed closer J.J. Putz is making the start for Arizona. Gibson said that Heath Bell and David Hernandez also likely to pitch Tuesday. Lefty Eric Stults will be on the mound for San Diego. First pitch is 1:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.