Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 1:42 pm
D-backs send Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno
The Diamondbacks optioned left-hander Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno Monday morning, one of five moves that reduced the number of players in big league camp to 39.
"He just wasn't ready and we felt it was being counterproductive with him being here," said D-backs manager Kirk Gibson. "We all talked about it and we thought that was the right thing to do. I think he's a little bit relieved, to be quite honest with you. We'll get him back on track."
Skaggs, who had been competing with Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado for the final spot in Arizona's rotation, struggled in Cactus League play. In four appearances (two starts), Skaggs went 0-2 with an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
Control was also a bit of an issue as Skaggs walked eight batters while striking out five.
"He knows what he's doing," Gibson said. "How do you stop it when you go out and you're trying to win a job with every pitch? It's kind of hard when you get into bad habits.
"Hopefully he'll relax a little bit (in Triple A) and throw the baseball the way he's capable."
Skaggs was ranked as the top lefty pitching prospect heading into the season by Baseball America, and the 12th-ranked overall prospect.
Infielder Kila Ka'aihue, left-handed pitcher Rommie Lewis, catcher Rossmel Perez and outfielder Brad Snyder were also reassigned to Arizona's minor league camp.
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.