Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 1:42 pm
D-backs send Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno
The Diamondbacks optioned left-hander Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno Monday morning, one of five moves that reduced the number of players in big league camp to 39.
"He just wasn't ready and we felt it was being counterproductive with him being here," said D-backs manager Kirk Gibson. "We all talked about it and we thought that was the right thing to do. I think he's a little bit relieved, to be quite honest with you. We'll get him back on track."
Skaggs, who had been competing with Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado for the final spot in Arizona's rotation, struggled in Cactus League play. In four appearances (two starts), Skaggs went 0-2 with an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
Control was also a bit of an issue as Skaggs walked eight batters while striking out five.
"He knows what he's doing," Gibson said. "How do you stop it when you go out and you're trying to win a job with every pitch? It's kind of hard when you get into bad habits.
"Hopefully he'll relax a little bit (in Triple A) and throw the baseball the way he's capable."
Skaggs was ranked as the top lefty pitching prospect heading into the season by Baseball America, and the 12th-ranked overall prospect.
Infielder Kila Ka'aihue, left-handed pitcher Rommie Lewis, catcher Rossmel Perez and outfielder Brad Snyder were also reassigned to Arizona's minor league camp.
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?