Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 1:42 pm
D-backs send Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno
The Diamondbacks optioned left-hander Tyler Skaggs to Triple-A Reno Monday morning, one of five moves that reduced the number of players in big league camp to 39.
"He just wasn't ready and we felt it was being counterproductive with him being here," said D-backs manager Kirk Gibson. "We all talked about it and we thought that was the right thing to do. I think he's a little bit relieved, to be quite honest with you. We'll get him back on track."
Skaggs, who had been competing with Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado for the final spot in Arizona's rotation, struggled in Cactus League play. In four appearances (two starts), Skaggs went 0-2 with an ERA of 11.00 in nine innings of work.
Control was also a bit of an issue as Skaggs walked eight batters while striking out five.
"He knows what he's doing," Gibson said. "How do you stop it when you go out and you're trying to win a job with every pitch? It's kind of hard when you get into bad habits.
"Hopefully he'll relax a little bit (in Triple A) and throw the baseball the way he's capable."
Skaggs was ranked as the top lefty pitching prospect heading into the season by Baseball America, and the 12th-ranked overall prospect.
Infielder Kila Ka'aihue, left-handed pitcher Rommie Lewis, catcher Rossmel Perez and outfielder Brad Snyder were also reassigned to Arizona's minor league camp.
- Diamondbacks GM Towers: New prospect Peter O'Brien provides 'an impact bat'
- Diamondbacks give Paul Goldschmidt a much-needed 'mental and physical' day off
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs general manger - Friday August 1D-backs general manager Kevin Towers says he’s happy with the trade results.
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.