Updated Mar 18, 2013 - 7:13 am
Hill, Eaton spark offense in D-backs' big win over Dodgers
The Arizona Diamondbacks beat the Los Angeles Dodgers 9-1 at Salt River Fields at Talking Stick on Sunday afternoon in front of another sellout crowd.
Second baseman Aaron Hill was firing on all cylinders offensively. He was 3-for-3 at the plate Sunday with four RBI, two runs scored and left the game just a triple short of the cycle.
Adam Eaton also got things going on offense and did exactly what manager Kirk Gibson said he's looking for from his lead-off hitter. Eaton went 2-for-2 with two runs scored and a walk, and also was 1-for-2 in stolen base attempts.
Reliever Brad Zieglar had a rare "off" day on the mound. He came in for starter Trevor Cahill to pitch the sixth and allowed one run and one hit in one inning pitched. The one run was a solo shot by Matt Kemp with two outs in the inning.
The Diamondbacks announced that Sunday's sold-out crowd of 12,809 set the single-game record for Salt River Fields. The previous record was 12,799 and it was set last year against the Dodgers on March 31. Salt River Fields is in its third season, the D-backs have sold out seven of their first 12 games. The combined attendance this spring between the D-backs and the Rockies is 316,208. That's the third-highest ever for a two-team complex.
He Said It:
"Trevor threw the ball really well, the best he's thrown it all spring. I thought the last inning was his best inning. He threw two really nice curveballs that inning and then some changeups. Just made more strikes today and had better command of where he wanted to throw as well." -- Manager Kirk Gibson praised starting pitcher Trevor Cahill.
The Diamondbacks will face the Dodgers again on Monday on the road at Camelback Ranch. Right-hander Randall Delgado is scheduled to make the start for Arizona and will be opposed by the Dodgers' Josh Beckett. Matt Reynolds, Tony Sipp and Brad Ziegler are also scheduled to pitch.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.