Updated Mar 15, 2013 - 4:14 pm
McCarthy solid as Diamondbacks tie A's
Despite hitting a "wall," Diamondbacks starter Brandon McCarthy pitched a solid outing. He threw four innings, allowed three hits and two earned runs while striking out six.
Also pitching for Arizona Friday was groundball magnet Brad Ziegler. Once again he didn't disappoint, going one inning with one strikeout.
Offensively, the D-backs played some small ball to get on the board in the first inning with RBIs by right fielder Gerardo Parra and first baseman Paul Goldschmidt.
Arizona recorded ten hits on the day but also left nine baserunners stranded.
Former Diamondbacks center fielder Chris Young has not played in a single game against Arizona this spring. The A's have faced the D-backs three times thus far.
He Said It:
Starting pitcher Brandon McCarthy was feeling the heat, literally, in the fourth inning. The thermometer hit 93 Friday and McCarthy said that caused him to hit the wall.
He was thankful for the called strike that ended his outing in his final inning.
"Yeah, that was not a strike, but I am really thankful for it. It's one of those ones that makes the day look a lot better at least and lets me end on a good note, but I was struggling to execute there."
The called third strike came against Oakland first baseman Daric Barton in the top of the fourth inning with a runner on second. The fourth inning is also when McCarthy gave up his only two earned runs of the game.
The D-backs head to Peoria to take on the Padres Saturday. Righty Ian Kennedy will start for Arizona and Tyson Ross will go for the Padres. Tyler Skaggs and J.J. Putz are also scheduled to pitch for the D-backs. First pitch is slated for 1:05 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Collmenter, D-backs down Padres, snap losing streak
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter dazzles in D-backs' win over Padres
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.