Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 4:50 pm
D-backs game vs. Angels shortened by hail storm
The D-backs' originally-scheduled starter, Randall Delgado, was scratched after struggling to get warmed up prior to the game. Instead, D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler was called upon to warm up quickly and make the start. The sidearmer gave up two hits, one run and a walk in one inning and 30 pitches of work before yielding the mound to Delgado, who pitched 1 2/3 innings before the game was called by umpire Jim Wolf.
Offensively, Aaron Hill hit a first inning home run -- his first of 2013 Spring Training -- to give the D-backs their only run, as Didi Gregorius tallied the only other hit, a single.
He said it:
When asked about the inclement weather, catcher Wil Nieves entertained reporters with a comical rant.
"I looked at the umpire before the game started and said, 'We're really playing this?' ... It was bad. The ball just looked like a dark object. It was so hard to see... I'm glad they stopped it, because someone was going to get hurt and it was probably going to be me."
Coming up next:
The D-backs face the White Sox on Saturday at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to take the mound and RHP Zeke Spruill, RHP Starling Peralta, RHP Garrett Mock, LHP Tony Sipp, LHP Matt Reynolds, and RHP Eric Smith are also all scheduled to make appearances, unless Kirk Gibson moved Friday's scheduled pitchers back a game -- a decision he said he's currently undecided on.
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Martin Prado to New York Yankees
- Arizona Diamondbacks trade Gerardo Parra to Milwaukee Brewers for prospects Mitch Haniger and Anthony Banda
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.