Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 4:50 pm
D-backs game vs. Angels shortened by hail storm
The D-backs' originally-scheduled starter, Randall Delgado, was scratched after struggling to get warmed up prior to the game. Instead, D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler was called upon to warm up quickly and make the start. The sidearmer gave up two hits, one run and a walk in one inning and 30 pitches of work before yielding the mound to Delgado, who pitched 1 2/3 innings before the game was called by umpire Jim Wolf.
Offensively, Aaron Hill hit a first inning home run -- his first of 2013 Spring Training -- to give the D-backs their only run, as Didi Gregorius tallied the only other hit, a single.
He said it:
When asked about the inclement weather, catcher Wil Nieves entertained reporters with a comical rant.
"I looked at the umpire before the game started and said, 'We're really playing this?' ... It was bad. The ball just looked like a dark object. It was so hard to see... I'm glad they stopped it, because someone was going to get hurt and it was probably going to be me."
Coming up next:
The D-backs face the White Sox on Saturday at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to take the mound and RHP Zeke Spruill, RHP Starling Peralta, RHP Garrett Mock, LHP Tony Sipp, LHP Matt Reynolds, and RHP Eric Smith are also all scheduled to make appearances, unless Kirk Gibson moved Friday's scheduled pitchers back a game -- a decision he said he's currently undecided on.
- Report: D-backs bring back 3B Eric Chavez for 2014 season
- D-backs GM: Archie Bradley has chance to be 'special in a hurry'
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks have not signed reliever Jose Valverde to minor-league deal
- Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers: 'There will be competition' for closer spot
- Report: RHP Addison Reed could be flipped for future trade
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs Pitcher - Wednesday December 18D-backs trying to win now, Ziggy talks about what that means for the clubhouse.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.