Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 4:50 pm
D-backs game vs. Angels shortened by hail storm
The D-backs' originally-scheduled starter, Randall Delgado, was scratched after struggling to get warmed up prior to the game. Instead, D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler was called upon to warm up quickly and make the start. The sidearmer gave up two hits, one run and a walk in one inning and 30 pitches of work before yielding the mound to Delgado, who pitched 1 2/3 innings before the game was called by umpire Jim Wolf.
Offensively, Aaron Hill hit a first inning home run -- his first of 2013 Spring Training -- to give the D-backs their only run, as Didi Gregorius tallied the only other hit, a single.
He said it:
When asked about the inclement weather, catcher Wil Nieves entertained reporters with a comical rant.
"I looked at the umpire before the game started and said, 'We're really playing this?' ... It was bad. The ball just looked like a dark object. It was so hard to see... I'm glad they stopped it, because someone was going to get hurt and it was probably going to be me."
Coming up next:
The D-backs face the White Sox on Saturday at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to take the mound and RHP Zeke Spruill, RHP Starling Peralta, RHP Garrett Mock, LHP Tony Sipp, LHP Matt Reynolds, and RHP Eric Smith are also all scheduled to make appearances, unless Kirk Gibson moved Friday's scheduled pitchers back a game -- a decision he said he's currently undecided on.
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.