Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 4:50 pm
D-backs game vs. Angels shortened by hail storm
The D-backs' originally-scheduled starter, Randall Delgado, was scratched after struggling to get warmed up prior to the game. Instead, D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler was called upon to warm up quickly and make the start. The sidearmer gave up two hits, one run and a walk in one inning and 30 pitches of work before yielding the mound to Delgado, who pitched 1 2/3 innings before the game was called by umpire Jim Wolf.
Offensively, Aaron Hill hit a first inning home run -- his first of 2013 Spring Training -- to give the D-backs their only run, as Didi Gregorius tallied the only other hit, a single.
He said it:
When asked about the inclement weather, catcher Wil Nieves entertained reporters with a comical rant.
"I looked at the umpire before the game started and said, 'We're really playing this?' ... It was bad. The ball just looked like a dark object. It was so hard to see... I'm glad they stopped it, because someone was going to get hurt and it was probably going to be me."
Coming up next:
The D-backs face the White Sox on Saturday at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields. Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to take the mound and RHP Zeke Spruill, RHP Starling Peralta, RHP Garrett Mock, LHP Tony Sipp, LHP Matt Reynolds, and RHP Eric Smith are also all scheduled to make appearances, unless Kirk Gibson moved Friday's scheduled pitchers back a game -- a decision he said he's currently undecided on.
- D-backs CEO Derrick Hall says Tony La Russa will teach, but will not manage
- Diamondbacks fall to Nationals 1-0 on walk-off error: By The Numbers
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.