Updated Mar 8, 2013 - 5:24 pm
MLB analyst: D-backs are still NL West underdogs
The D-backs made a lot of roster moves, acquiring players many deem as "gritty".
MLB Network analyst Harold Reynolds told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that the D-backs shouldn't be satisfied with that title describing their roster.
"I think the gritty term is a terrible term in baseball," Reynolds said. "Most guys should be gritty anyway."
With the competition in the NL West, Reynolds said the D-backs will need to be much more than gritty to win this division.
"I think the Giants and the Dodgers are the class of the NL West and maybe in the NL," Reynolds said. "It's going to come down to the pitching with the Diamondbacks, which I think is really the strong suit of that club. That pitching is going to carry them more than the offense."
Reynolds isn't ruling out the D-backs in the divisional hunt, but he did say they are not without question marks.
"They're going to compete, (but) the roster is young," Reynolds said. "I don't think the offense is going to be as prolific as most people think."
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.