D-backs shut out by Team Mexico
Spring training continued at Salt River Fields on Tuesday night, but it looked a bit different than what we see in Cactus League action. The D-backs played an exhibition game against Team Mexico.
Ace Ian Kennedy made the start and was solid in his second appearance of the spring but Arizona still ended up with a 1-0 loss.
Kennedy threw three innings, gave up two hits, one walk and struck out three. Also on the mound Tuesday was JJ Putz, making his first appearance of spring, Brad Ziegler, Tyler Skaggs and Charles Brewer.
Manager Kirk Gibson said he was going to keep an eye on Skaggs' outing Tuesday as he continues to battle for that fifth spot in the starting rotation. Skaggs was much improved from his last appearance with three innings pitched, three hits, one walk and three K's.
Another positive for the D-backs was the double play they executed on a pick-off when Kennedy was on the mound. That's something Gibson is sure to be happy about.
A negative on the scorecard for the D-backs was the three errors committed by Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington and Chris Owings.
The offense also struggled on Tuesday recording just four hits in the shutout loss.
General Manager Kevin Towers said that some of the offensive issues could be due to the night game and the lights. Towers stated that it's been quite some time since most of these guys played under the lights and it can make it more difficult to see the ball.
The D-backs will have a light day on Wednesday following this night game. Gibson called it a "show and go" kind of day. They'll host the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields.
RHP Trevor Cahill, LHP Patrick Corbin, LHP Matt Reynolds, LHP Rommie Lewis, LHP Tony Sipp are the pitchers schedule to appear in Wednesday's game against the Royals.
Team USA will also be in action at SRF on Wednesday. They play the Rockies at 7:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.