D-backs shut out by Team Mexico
Spring training continued at Salt River Fields on Tuesday night, but it looked a bit different than what we see in Cactus League action. The D-backs played an exhibition game against Team Mexico.
Ace Ian Kennedy made the start and was solid in his second appearance of the spring but Arizona still ended up with a 1-0 loss.
Kennedy threw three innings, gave up two hits, one walk and struck out three. Also on the mound Tuesday was JJ Putz, making his first appearance of spring, Brad Ziegler, Tyler Skaggs and Charles Brewer.
Manager Kirk Gibson said he was going to keep an eye on Skaggs' outing Tuesday as he continues to battle for that fifth spot in the starting rotation. Skaggs was much improved from his last appearance with three innings pitched, three hits, one walk and three K's.
Another positive for the D-backs was the double play they executed on a pick-off when Kennedy was on the mound. That's something Gibson is sure to be happy about.
A negative on the scorecard for the D-backs was the three errors committed by Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington and Chris Owings.
The offense also struggled on Tuesday recording just four hits in the shutout loss.
General Manager Kevin Towers said that some of the offensive issues could be due to the night game and the lights. Towers stated that it's been quite some time since most of these guys played under the lights and it can make it more difficult to see the ball.
The D-backs will have a light day on Wednesday following this night game. Gibson called it a "show and go" kind of day. They'll host the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields.
RHP Trevor Cahill, LHP Patrick Corbin, LHP Matt Reynolds, LHP Rommie Lewis, LHP Tony Sipp are the pitchers schedule to appear in Wednesday's game against the Royals.
Team USA will also be in action at SRF on Wednesday. They play the Rockies at 7:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.