D-backs shut out by Team Mexico
Spring training continued at Salt River Fields on Tuesday night, but it looked a bit different than what we see in Cactus League action. The D-backs played an exhibition game against Team Mexico.
Ace Ian Kennedy made the start and was solid in his second appearance of the spring but Arizona still ended up with a 1-0 loss.
Kennedy threw three innings, gave up two hits, one walk and struck out three. Also on the mound Tuesday was JJ Putz, making his first appearance of spring, Brad Ziegler, Tyler Skaggs and Charles Brewer.
Manager Kirk Gibson said he was going to keep an eye on Skaggs' outing Tuesday as he continues to battle for that fifth spot in the starting rotation. Skaggs was much improved from his last appearance with three innings pitched, three hits, one walk and three K's.
Another positive for the D-backs was the double play they executed on a pick-off when Kennedy was on the mound. That's something Gibson is sure to be happy about.
A negative on the scorecard for the D-backs was the three errors committed by Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington and Chris Owings.
The offense also struggled on Tuesday recording just four hits in the shutout loss.
General Manager Kevin Towers said that some of the offensive issues could be due to the night game and the lights. Towers stated that it's been quite some time since most of these guys played under the lights and it can make it more difficult to see the ball.
The D-backs will have a light day on Wednesday following this night game. Gibson called it a "show and go" kind of day. They'll host the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields.
RHP Trevor Cahill, LHP Patrick Corbin, LHP Matt Reynolds, LHP Rommie Lewis, LHP Tony Sipp are the pitchers schedule to appear in Wednesday's game against the Royals.
Team USA will also be in action at SRF on Wednesday. They play the Rockies at 7:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?