D-backs shut out by Team Mexico
Spring training continued at Salt River Fields on Tuesday night, but it looked a bit different than what we see in Cactus League action. The D-backs played an exhibition game against Team Mexico.
Ace Ian Kennedy made the start and was solid in his second appearance of the spring but Arizona still ended up with a 1-0 loss.
Kennedy threw three innings, gave up two hits, one walk and struck out three. Also on the mound Tuesday was JJ Putz, making his first appearance of spring, Brad Ziegler, Tyler Skaggs and Charles Brewer.
Manager Kirk Gibson said he was going to keep an eye on Skaggs' outing Tuesday as he continues to battle for that fifth spot in the starting rotation. Skaggs was much improved from his last appearance with three innings pitched, three hits, one walk and three K's.
Another positive for the D-backs was the double play they executed on a pick-off when Kennedy was on the mound. That's something Gibson is sure to be happy about.
A negative on the scorecard for the D-backs was the three errors committed by Paul Goldschmidt, Cliff Pennington and Chris Owings.
The offense also struggled on Tuesday recording just four hits in the shutout loss.
General Manager Kevin Towers said that some of the offensive issues could be due to the night game and the lights. Towers stated that it's been quite some time since most of these guys played under the lights and it can make it more difficult to see the ball.
The D-backs will have a light day on Wednesday following this night game. Gibson called it a "show and go" kind of day. They'll host the Kansas City Royals at 1:10 p.m. at Salt River Fields.
RHP Trevor Cahill, LHP Patrick Corbin, LHP Matt Reynolds, LHP Rommie Lewis, LHP Tony Sipp are the pitchers schedule to appear in Wednesday's game against the Royals.
Team USA will also be in action at SRF on Wednesday. They play the Rockies at 7:10 p.m.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.