Kirk Gibson gives update on Arizona Diamondbacks injuries
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson gave some injury updates on outfielder Cody Ross and infielder Aaron Hill before the team's game against Team Mexico on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Gibson said he plans to limit Ross in his activities for two weeks.
"You know for me, I think the way I look at it, he's going to do activities as far as hitting and throwing and probably get him on the field to do live hitting. Then around two weeks we'll start seeing how he's doing and let him run around I guess. I think kind of two weeks is where we're at right now."
Ross left Sunday's game after one at-bat due to a calf issue and he then had an MRI on his leg. The MRI revealed a strained soleus muscle.
Gibson said the depth in the outfield is helpful in this case, but he doesn't wanted to take that for granted.
"Yeah, well let's just hope everybody stays healthy because injuries they start to accumulate and your depth, you don't want to bite into your depth early on for sure," Gibson said.
As for Hill, he's still dealing with a bit of a quad issue. Gibson was asked about the D-backs' second baseman lobbying him to play on Wednesday.
"I don't know, probably not," Gibson said. "I mean he's going to hit again [Tuesday], probably hit [Wednesday] and probably the next day. He had a good workout and we'll see how he comes in [Wednesday]."
Hill was scratched from Saturday's game, sat out Sunday and pinch hit on Monday against the Reds.
"We don't want it to turn into something like [Ross]; I was surprised by that diagnosis," Gibson said. "We're not going to try and make him push through something right now and then end up with somebody else that's got extended time that they're going to be off."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian on trading Gerardo Parra: 'Maybe you've got to look at it'
- Diamondbacks president Derrick Hall: Bullpen is where trades may come from
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill struggles in loss to Detroit Tigers
- Dose of Venom: Tigers' bats doom D-backs in series finale
- D-backs drop series finale to Tigers: By the Numbers
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.