Kirk Gibson gives update on Arizona Diamondbacks injuries
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson gave some injury updates on outfielder Cody Ross and infielder Aaron Hill before the team's game against Team Mexico on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Gibson said he plans to limit Ross in his activities for two weeks.
"You know for me, I think the way I look at it, he's going to do activities as far as hitting and throwing and probably get him on the field to do live hitting. Then around two weeks we'll start seeing how he's doing and let him run around I guess. I think kind of two weeks is where we're at right now."
Ross left Sunday's game after one at-bat due to a calf issue and he then had an MRI on his leg. The MRI revealed a strained soleus muscle.
Gibson said the depth in the outfield is helpful in this case, but he doesn't wanted to take that for granted.
"Yeah, well let's just hope everybody stays healthy because injuries they start to accumulate and your depth, you don't want to bite into your depth early on for sure," Gibson said.
As for Hill, he's still dealing with a bit of a quad issue. Gibson was asked about the D-backs' second baseman lobbying him to play on Wednesday.
"I don't know, probably not," Gibson said. "I mean he's going to hit again [Tuesday], probably hit [Wednesday] and probably the next day. He had a good workout and we'll see how he comes in [Wednesday]."
Hill was scratched from Saturday's game, sat out Sunday and pinch hit on Monday against the Reds.
"We don't want it to turn into something like [Ross]; I was surprised by that diagnosis," Gibson said. "We're not going to try and make him push through something right now and then end up with somebody else that's got extended time that they're going to be off."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.