Kirk Gibson gives update on Arizona Diamondbacks injuries
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson gave some injury updates on outfielder Cody Ross and infielder Aaron Hill before the team's game against Team Mexico on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Gibson said he plans to limit Ross in his activities for two weeks.
"You know for me, I think the way I look at it, he's going to do activities as far as hitting and throwing and probably get him on the field to do live hitting. Then around two weeks we'll start seeing how he's doing and let him run around I guess. I think kind of two weeks is where we're at right now."
Ross left Sunday's game after one at-bat due to a calf issue and he then had an MRI on his leg. The MRI revealed a strained soleus muscle.
Gibson said the depth in the outfield is helpful in this case, but he doesn't wanted to take that for granted.
"Yeah, well let's just hope everybody stays healthy because injuries they start to accumulate and your depth, you don't want to bite into your depth early on for sure," Gibson said.
As for Hill, he's still dealing with a bit of a quad issue. Gibson was asked about the D-backs' second baseman lobbying him to play on Wednesday.
"I don't know, probably not," Gibson said. "I mean he's going to hit again [Tuesday], probably hit [Wednesday] and probably the next day. He had a good workout and we'll see how he comes in [Wednesday]."
Hill was scratched from Saturday's game, sat out Sunday and pinch hit on Monday against the Reds.
"We don't want it to turn into something like [Ross]; I was surprised by that diagnosis," Gibson said. "We're not going to try and make him push through something right now and then end up with somebody else that's got extended time that they're going to be off."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- ESPN analyst Kurkjian: Arizona Diamondbacks 'not doing anything right'
- D-backs' Derrick Hall: Losses mounting because players are pressing
- D-backs prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest start
- D-backs president: 'It's far too early to say' Gibson and Towers are in jeopardy of losing jobs
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.