Kirk Gibson gives update on Arizona Diamondbacks injuries
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson gave some injury updates on outfielder Cody Ross and infielder Aaron Hill before the team's game against Team Mexico on Tuesday night at Salt River Fields.
Gibson said he plans to limit Ross in his activities for two weeks.
"You know for me, I think the way I look at it, he's going to do activities as far as hitting and throwing and probably get him on the field to do live hitting. Then around two weeks we'll start seeing how he's doing and let him run around I guess. I think kind of two weeks is where we're at right now."
Ross left Sunday's game after one at-bat due to a calf issue and he then had an MRI on his leg. The MRI revealed a strained soleus muscle.
Gibson said the depth in the outfield is helpful in this case, but he doesn't wanted to take that for granted.
"Yeah, well let's just hope everybody stays healthy because injuries they start to accumulate and your depth, you don't want to bite into your depth early on for sure," Gibson said.
As for Hill, he's still dealing with a bit of a quad issue. Gibson was asked about the D-backs' second baseman lobbying him to play on Wednesday.
"I don't know, probably not," Gibson said. "I mean he's going to hit again [Tuesday], probably hit [Wednesday] and probably the next day. He had a good workout and we'll see how he comes in [Wednesday]."
Hill was scratched from Saturday's game, sat out Sunday and pinch hit on Monday against the Reds.
"We don't want it to turn into something like [Ross]; I was surprised by that diagnosis," Gibson said. "We're not going to try and make him push through something right now and then end up with somebody else that's got extended time that they're going to be off."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.