Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 4:25 pm
McCarthy sharp as Diamondbacks top Reds
Offensively, Aaron Hill's pinch-hit single in the fifth scored the go-ahead run in the Diamondbacks' 3-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks' first three hitters -- Adam Eaton, Chad Pennington and Eric Chavez -- combined to go 3-for-7. Eaton has hit safely in seven of nine games (10-for-29, .345), Chavez in four of six games (5-for-12, .416) and Pennington has reached base safely in all eight games he's played.
Chris Owings added a solo home run in the seventh, part of a four-run inning.
HE SAID IT
"It was a good locker room talk," manager Kirk Gibson said of the exchange he and Reds manager Dusty Baker had prior to the game at home plate regarding the designated hitter. "I wanted to play a National League game. (We) notified them several times. They just wanted to do it their way and they couldn't do it. We play by the rules here. That's the way it is. When we're over there, we play by their rules. It's very simple."
COMING UP NEXT
The Diamondbacks (5-5-1) will take a break from Cactus League competition and play Team Mexico in an exhibition game under the lights at Salt River Fields Tuesday, March 5. Ian Kennedy, Tyler Skaggs, Charles Brewer, JJ Putz, Bo Schultz and Brad Ziegler are all scheduled to pitch. Putz will be making his first in-game appearance on the mound of the spring.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Rookie makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Plate call overturned in D-backs' loss
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.