Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 4:25 pm
McCarthy sharp as Diamondbacks top Reds
Offensively, Aaron Hill's pinch-hit single in the fifth scored the go-ahead run in the Diamondbacks' 3-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds at Salt River Fields.
The Diamondbacks' first three hitters -- Adam Eaton, Chad Pennington and Eric Chavez -- combined to go 3-for-7. Eaton has hit safely in seven of nine games (10-for-29, .345), Chavez in four of six games (5-for-12, .416) and Pennington has reached base safely in all eight games he's played.
Chris Owings added a solo home run in the seventh, part of a four-run inning.
HE SAID IT
"It was a good locker room talk," manager Kirk Gibson said of the exchange he and Reds manager Dusty Baker had prior to the game at home plate regarding the designated hitter. "I wanted to play a National League game. (We) notified them several times. They just wanted to do it their way and they couldn't do it. We play by the rules here. That's the way it is. When we're over there, we play by their rules. It's very simple."
COMING UP NEXT
The Diamondbacks (5-5-1) will take a break from Cactus League competition and play Team Mexico in an exhibition game under the lights at Salt River Fields Tuesday, March 5. Ian Kennedy, Tyler Skaggs, Charles Brewer, JJ Putz, Bo Schultz and Brad Ziegler are all scheduled to pitch. Putz will be making his first in-game appearance on the mound of the spring.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.