Updated Mar 4, 2013 - 4:14 pm
Randy Johnson checks out Diamondbacks camp
Randy Johnson, who pitched for Arizona from 1999-2004 and then again in 2007 and 2008, is always welcome to be around the team, according to manager Kirk Gibson.
"You know we talk about the Diamondback way, and tradition is a part of that," he said. "These guys have accomplished a lot here, and how did they do it?
"It's a resource, certainly a resource. It's good affirmation to good times. So, the guys that have played here and busted their ass are certainly welcome, always."
Johnson is one of those guys.
"We want him to feel welcome and comfortable here, come back," the skipper said.
Gibson said Johnson has plenty to offer a team like the Diamondbacks and would like to see the "Big Unit," as Monday was Johnson's first appearance at Salt River Fields. The hope is he'll be around more often.
"He's welcome to come out whenever he wants, watch whenever he wants, interject whenever he wants," Gibson said. "He certainly told those guys (his players) some great stories on how he reflected upon himself, his performance and how he could get better."
Johnson is a five-time Cy Young Award winner, 10-time All-Star and a World Series champion. He should also be a first-ballot Hall of Famer when eligible in 2015.
And though he may have left the D-backs on uneasy terms in 2009 when he signed as a free agent with the San Francisco Giants, it would seem that is water under the bridge for all parties involved.
"I sense he has a need to get back right now, he wants to get back," Gibson said of Johnson. "Because of all the guys he's talked about who gave to him."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.