Updated Mar 2, 2013 - 4:24 pm
Rangers knock around Diamondbacks, Wade Miley
Once Miley exited, Randall Delgado took the mound for two innings. He gave up a run on three hits and now in two appearances is sporting a 15.00 ERA (five earned runs in three innings). Delgado is in the mix, along with Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin, for the fifth starter's spot in the rotation.
Offensively, the Diamondbacks collected nine hits -- two each by Paul Goldschmidt and Matt Davidson, who singled home the team's lone run in the bottom of the eighth. Goldschmidt is hitting .455 (5-for-11) in six games.
Aaron Hill was scratched from the starting lineup because of a tight left quad. "He's fine," manager Kirk Gibson said. "We ran the bases today. He took a lot of ground balls, made a comment to somebody on the training staff. I'm not going to fool around with it. There's no reason to do that."
He Said It:
"It didn't go great," Miley said. "I felt good though so I was kind of happy about that. Just getting back out there facing some hitters again, felt like the ball was coming out of my hand good. I wasn't locating the fastball; breaking stuff was okay. It's something to build off, definitely. "
Coming Up Next:
The Diamondbacks (4-4-1) play at the World Series Champion San Francisco Giants in Scottsdale Sunday, March 3. Josh Collmenter is the scheduled starter. Other pitchers expected to throw include David Holmberg, Eddie Bonine, Warner Madrigal, Eric Smith and Eury De la Rosa.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.