Updated Feb 28, 2013 - 6:00 pm
Kennedy pitches well in Cactus League debut
Ian Kennedy, slated to start Opening Day for the third straight year, made his Cactus League debut Thursday against the Reds in Goodyear. He allowed an unearned run in two innings of work, throwing 34 pitches, 20 for strikes.
"Overall, I felt pretty good," Kennedy said.
When Kennedy exited, Tyler Skaggs entered and struggled in his second appearance of the spring.
Competing for the fifth starter's spot, Skaggs did not make it out of the third inning, giving up three runs on three hits and two walks. He also threw a wild pitch and balked.
"Pitched terrible. That's it," Skaggs said of his performance.
Charles Brewer has been anything but terrible. He allowed an unearned run in three innings of work. The former Scottsdale Chaparral High School star has yet to be charged with an earned run in five innings, spanning two appearances.
Offensively, Gerardo Parra, batting third, went 3-for-4 with 3 RBI. He's hitting .417 with 6 RBI. Willie Bloomquist also had three hits to raise his spring average to .538.
The Diamondbacks committed three errors, giving them 11 in seven games.
HE SAID IT
"I like throwing to him," Kennedy said of teammate Rod Barajas. "I like the way he catches, good target back there. You can tell he's a veteran catcher. He likes talking about what we like to do, just our approach to how we pitch. I faced him enough. I'm glad that he's not taking those big swings off me anymore. I like the relationship we have so far."
COMING UP NEXT
The Diamondbacks begin the month of March with a trip to Hohokam Stadium in Mesa to play the Cubs Friday. Trevor Cahill makes his Cactus League debut. Other pitchers scheduled to throw include Patrick Corbin, David Hernandez, Heath Bell, Garrett Mock, Bo Schultz, Evan Marshall and Tony Sipp.
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Arizona Diamondbacks claim OF Nolan Reimold off waivers
- D-backs trade of Martin Prado to Yankees nearly didn't happen
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.