Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley looks like 'a young Chris Carpenter'
Besides concerns over his personality and ability to pitch at the major league level, one of them is the fact that the organization is deep in top-level pitching prospects.
So, at least in their eyes, Bauer was expendable.
One such prospect is Archie Bradley who, like Bauer, was selected in the 2011 MLB Draft, albeit four spots later.
"Archie Bradley, in our system, we think somebody that has a chance to be a legitimate number one-type starter in the big leagues," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He was a football quarterback, he's athletic, he's got a power arm with a power breaking ball.
"He reminds me so much of a young Chris Carpenter."
That wouldn't be so bad, as Carpenter has racked up 144 career wins, a 3.76 ERA, three All-Star appearances, a Cy Young award and two World Series championships.
But Bradley, who is just 20, has pitched just one full minor league season, going 12-6 with a 3.84 ERA for Single-A South Bend. He struck out 152 in 136 innings while walking 84. He's a raw talent, but a talent nonetheless.
And one Towers is not afraid to place expectations on.
"This kid would be disappointed if he wasn't a number one," he said, admitting Bradley still has to work his way through the system. "It's just a matter of time before he gets up here, I think, and really has a chance to dominate."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Dose of Venom: Anderson gets roughed up again as D-backs drop series finale to Padres
- Padres take series finale from Anderson, D-backs
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.