Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley looks like 'a young Chris Carpenter'
Besides concerns over his personality and ability to pitch at the major league level, one of them is the fact that the organization is deep in top-level pitching prospects.
So, at least in their eyes, Bauer was expendable.
One such prospect is Archie Bradley who, like Bauer, was selected in the 2011 MLB Draft, albeit four spots later.
"Archie Bradley, in our system, we think somebody that has a chance to be a legitimate number one-type starter in the big leagues," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He was a football quarterback, he's athletic, he's got a power arm with a power breaking ball.
"He reminds me so much of a young Chris Carpenter."
That wouldn't be so bad, as Carpenter has racked up 144 career wins, a 3.76 ERA, three All-Star appearances, a Cy Young award and two World Series championships.
But Bradley, who is just 20, has pitched just one full minor league season, going 12-6 with a 3.84 ERA for Single-A South Bend. He struck out 152 in 136 innings while walking 84. He's a raw talent, but a talent nonetheless.
And one Towers is not afraid to place expectations on.
"This kid would be disappointed if he wasn't a number one," he said, admitting Bradley still has to work his way through the system. "It's just a matter of time before he gets up here, I think, and really has a chance to dominate."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Hill, Diamondbacks top Dodgers in extra innings
- Diamondbacks exorcise some demons in win over Dodgers
- D-backs break winless streak, beat Dodgers in extras: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks outfielder Cody Ross goes hitless in season debut
- Diamondbacks reinstate Cody Ross; designate Ryan Rowland-Smith
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.