Updated Feb 27, 2013 - 3:00 pm
D-backs GM: Archie Bradley looks like 'a young Chris Carpenter'
Besides concerns over his personality and ability to pitch at the major league level, one of them is the fact that the organization is deep in top-level pitching prospects.
So, at least in their eyes, Bauer was expendable.
One such prospect is Archie Bradley who, like Bauer, was selected in the 2011 MLB Draft, albeit four spots later.
"Archie Bradley, in our system, we think somebody that has a chance to be a legitimate number one-type starter in the big leagues," Towers told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Wednesday. "He was a football quarterback, he's athletic, he's got a power arm with a power breaking ball.
"He reminds me so much of a young Chris Carpenter."
That wouldn't be so bad, as Carpenter has racked up 144 career wins, a 3.76 ERA, three All-Star appearances, a Cy Young award and two World Series championships.
But Bradley, who is just 20, has pitched just one full minor league season, going 12-6 with a 3.84 ERA for Single-A South Bend. He struck out 152 in 136 innings while walking 84. He's a raw talent, but a talent nonetheless.
And one Towers is not afraid to place expectations on.
"This kid would be disappointed if he wasn't a number one," he said, admitting Bradley still has to work his way through the system. "It's just a matter of time before he gets up here, I think, and really has a chance to dominate."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.