Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 6:17 pm
D-backs' Ken Kendrick a fan of Justin Upton, but glad saga is over
The constant on-again, off-again rumors became the second-most annoying recurring sports story in Phoenix -- and if you have to ask what the first is, you're not a hockey fan.
Anyway, our long local nightmare came to an end January 24 when the D-backs struck a deal with the Braves that sent Upton, along with third baseman Chris Johnson, to Atlanta and returned five players to the desert, including former All-Star Martin Prado and starting pitcher Randall Delgado.
Ken Kendrick, the managing general partner of the Diamondbacks, joined Doug and Wolf from Salt River Fields at Talking Stick Tuesday and shared his thoughts on the deal.
"Well I'd have to say yes," Kendrick answered when asked if he was glad the deal was in the rear-view mirror. "I think it's well-known that I'm a big Justin Upton fan, and continue to be and I hope he does very, very well.
"But in the final analysis, I think we were looking at making decisions in this offseason that would make the Diamondbacks a better team heading into the new year, and we the think the trade we made to get Martin Prado and others is a pretty good trade for our team."
Kendrick then referenced an interview former Braves great Chipper Jones did in which he lamented Atlanta's loss of Prado.
"For our fans who don't yet know him, when you do get to and when you watch this young man play, I think you'll begin to understand how important he is going to be to the future of this team," Kendrick said. "Chipper Jones said he was his favorite teammate in his entire Braves career -- that's a very high compliment."
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- ESPN insider Keith Law breaks down D-backs' tradeable assets
- Rookie Ahmed makes difference in Diamondbacks' marathon win over Reds: By The Numbers
- Report: Diamondbacks willing to move closer Addison Reed
- Diamondbacks reinstate Jordan Pacheco, release Nick Evans
- ESPN Insider calls for D-backs to pawn Martin Prado off to Blue Jays
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.