Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 4:57 pm
Collmenter pitches well in D-backs' win over A's
Starter Josh Collmenter threw two innings, giving up just one hit and recording two strikeouts. After the game Collmenter said he's trying to use his curveball more, adding he's starting to feel more comfortable with it rather than shy away from using it.
The D-backs also got some offense going at Salt River Fields with home runs by Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cliff Pennington. Catcher Wil Nieves and third baseman Jake Lamb also knocked in some runs.
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was pleased with Collmenter mixing up his pitches.
"Colli, he featured three pitches. The breaking ball, you can tell he's been working on the breaking ball. That's probably about as good as I've seen his breaking ball."
***There was also a game going on Tuesday with the D-backs playing split-squad against the Angels on the road. The Arizona tied that game 7-7***
Next up: The D-backs host the Reds in a 1:10 first pitch. Right hander Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to make the start. It will be the first time McCarthy will face hitters in a live game since getting hit in the head with a line drive last September when he was with the A's. McCarthy had surgery to evacuate an epidural hemorrhage and stabilize a skull fracture. He also sustained a brain contusion in the incident.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Four-run fifth inning does in McCarthy, D-backs in loss to Cubs: By The Numbers
- D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'If we don't start winning, I should be held accountable'
- Diamondbacks didn't have a chance after Sydney
- Prospect Archie Bradley struggles in latest outing
- Wood homers, allows 1 run in Cubs' win
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 17Is it too early to make a change?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.