Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 4:57 pm
Collmenter pitches well in D-backs' win over A's
Starter Josh Collmenter threw two innings, giving up just one hit and recording two strikeouts. After the game Collmenter said he's trying to use his curveball more, adding he's starting to feel more comfortable with it rather than shy away from using it.
The D-backs also got some offense going at Salt River Fields with home runs by Jason Kubel, Adam Eaton and Cliff Pennington. Catcher Wil Nieves and third baseman Jake Lamb also knocked in some runs.
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson was pleased with Collmenter mixing up his pitches.
"Colli, he featured three pitches. The breaking ball, you can tell he's been working on the breaking ball. That's probably about as good as I've seen his breaking ball."
***There was also a game going on Tuesday with the D-backs playing split-squad against the Angels on the road. The Arizona tied that game 7-7***
Next up: The D-backs host the Reds in a 1:10 first pitch. Right hander Brandon McCarthy is scheduled to make the start. It will be the first time McCarthy will face hitters in a live game since getting hit in the head with a line drive last September when he was with the A's. McCarthy had surgery to evacuate an epidural hemorrhage and stabilize a skull fracture. He also sustained a brain contusion in the incident.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Could injuries force Archie Bradley into the starting rotation?
- D-backs' Trevor Cahill leaves early with knee injury vs. Cleveland
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 12Will Archie Bradley make the starting rotation?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday March 11Kirk Gibson discusses Archie Bradley's future with the team.
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.