Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 4:24 pm
D-backs pitcher Josh Collmenter working on his curveball
"Yeah I felt good. You know, for the most part I was able to throw my pitches where I wanted to," said Collmenter. "A couple pitches maybe missed a little bit but for the most part, first outing, it was good to get out there and see a hitter in there. I can take quite a few things away from it."
Something of note in Collmenter's outing Tuesday was the fact that he was throwing his curveball more frequently.
The 27-year-old, who is entering his third season in the big leagues, said that's a pitch he needs to continue to develop.
"That's one thing that I'm going to try and work on. I told Wil (Nieves), just call it and make sure I throw it just because I'm a lot more comfortable with it; it's just to get used throwing it in a game situation."
According to BaseballProspectus.com, last season Collmenter threw his curveball only 5% of the time. Tuesday after the game, he acknowledged that it's something that needs to change.
"There are a lot of times that I want to throw it but I'll kind of shy away from it because I'm used to throwing other pitches in a big situation," he said. "I don't want it to be the pitch that makes or breaks an outing."
Looking at the breakdown of Collmenter's pitches from last season, his four-seam fastball is clearly his favorite, throwing it 71% of the time, followed by his changeup at 24%. Out of 1,571 total pitches in the 2012 season, Collmenter threw his curveball only 83 times.
"The nice thing about spring training is I can force myself to throw it and just see what reactions I get from hitters," he noted. "You can get a lot of feedback that way."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.