Updated Feb 26, 2013 - 4:24 pm
D-backs pitcher Josh Collmenter working on his curveball
"Yeah I felt good. You know, for the most part I was able to throw my pitches where I wanted to," said Collmenter. "A couple pitches maybe missed a little bit but for the most part, first outing, it was good to get out there and see a hitter in there. I can take quite a few things away from it."
Something of note in Collmenter's outing Tuesday was the fact that he was throwing his curveball more frequently.
The 27-year-old, who is entering his third season in the big leagues, said that's a pitch he needs to continue to develop.
"That's one thing that I'm going to try and work on. I told Wil (Nieves), just call it and make sure I throw it just because I'm a lot more comfortable with it; it's just to get used throwing it in a game situation."
According to BaseballProspectus.com, last season Collmenter threw his curveball only 5% of the time. Tuesday after the game, he acknowledged that it's something that needs to change.
"There are a lot of times that I want to throw it but I'll kind of shy away from it because I'm used to throwing other pitches in a big situation," he said. "I don't want it to be the pitch that makes or breaks an outing."
Looking at the breakdown of Collmenter's pitches from last season, his four-seam fastball is clearly his favorite, throwing it 71% of the time, followed by his changeup at 24%. Out of 1,571 total pitches in the 2012 season, Collmenter threw his curveball only 83 times.
"The nice thing about spring training is I can force myself to throw it and just see what reactions I get from hitters," he noted. "You can get a lot of feedback that way."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.