Miguel Montero to miss second straight game with thumb injury
On Monday Montero was a late scratch from the team's lineup against the Royals in Surprise. Early reports were that Montero was dealing with a splinter in his thumb, but on Tuesday said he's not sure why his thumb swelled. The trainers cut it open and there was no splinter, just some puss.
Manager Kirk Gibson confirmed to reporters Tuesday that Montero would be missing another day, but thinks the catcher should be ready to play on Wednesday.
"It is still a little swollen. Hoping he can play tomorrow," he said. "It's much better but it looked like it was getting infected [Monday] so they've been treating it for that and it seems to be getting calmed down."
Montero had his thumb wrapped again Tuesday but was also eyeing Wednesday for a return to the lineup.
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 620
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer