Updated Feb 21, 2013 - 6:08 pm
D-backs' Gibson: Wade Miley can build off rookie season
For Arizona Diamondbacks left-hander Wade Miley, his rookie campaign unfolded like a storybook tale.
The D-backs' southpaw posted a 16-11 record, 3.33 ERA and 1.18 WHIP in 2012. Miley also broke all kinds of D-backs' rookie records, including setting new marks for wins (16), starts (29) and innings pitched (194.2).
But despite tying for the sixth-most wins and compiling the 10th-best ERA in the NL, D-backs manager Kirk Gibson told reporters on Thursday he expects his promising pitcher to build upon his breakout season.
"I think it's all really the way you think about it. I think he'll try and improve upon it. I think you go out and you prepare yourself and you try to even get better at that I guess and better at your execution," Gibson said.
Miley also represented the D-backs at the All-Star Game and finished second in the National League Rookie of the Year balloting to Washington Nationals phenom Bryce Harper.
Still, Gibson feels there's quite of a few areas of Miley's game that could be improved upon moving forward.
"He's got to become a better fielder, his move has to become better," Gibson said. "He has to hold runners better, he has to handle the bat better. He's focused on that."
While there's always the possibility Miley could suffer a drop off in production from his rookie season, Gibson doesn't think his left-hander will fall victim to a sophomore slump.
"I think what last year does is gives him confidence," Gibson stated. "He knows that he belongs. He knows he can do it and if he gets off to a rough start then we'll try and help him remain in the process and not the immediate result."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks GM: Trades are on the table, but won't make move unless it makes team better
- D-backs' mystery man David Peralta impresses general manager Kevin Towers
- Dose of Venom: Montero's clutch hit highlights Diamondbacks' comeback win over Tigers
- Diamondbacks surpass Tigers in wild 8th inning: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: Aaron Hill has 'swung the bat better,' been more patient
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?