Updated Feb 20, 2013 - 5:24 pm
Kirk Gibson: Adam Eaton is going to have to earn CF job
And they may have been, but that future is not necessarily going to be 2013.
Eaton, who hit .259 with two home runs, five RBI and two stolen bases in just 22 games may have entered the offseason as the favorite to be the team's Opening Day center fielder, but the outfield is as crowded as ever and playing time is not guaranteed.
And that's exactly how manager Kirk Gibson likes it.
"He's got to win that job, I'm going to tell you that right now," the skipper told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo Wednesday. Gibson noted that Eaton had a successful season in the minors and was solid in his brief Major League stint, but that doesn't matter. "It's a mistake for me to say 'yeah, he's going to be our center fielder and hope he gets 650-700 plate appearances' and think he's going to be able to handle that.
"That's a lot of responsibility. I want him to play center field every day, lead off. That's a tough go; just being a rookie is tough in itself."
Instead of handing Eaton the job, Gibson said he is hoping Eaton earns one, but doesn't want to "over-burden" the young player.
"I saw that with J-Up last year, you don't want any player to go through that," he said. "And you try to be proactive in that and stop that from happening or compounding too much where it's all of a sudden unmanageable, so that's a concern of mine with Adam."
That's not to say Gibson is not high on the 24-year-old, because he is. Saying he's kind of a 'throwback' player, the manager said it's important to see how he reacts to the pressure of being a big league ballplayer.
"When the competition starts," he said. "Everything's great now and this is a really positive part of the year and we love it and it's that way every year.
"When the stuff starts hitting the fan, then we see how people react to it. The pressure. It's tough."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.