ESPN analyst Boone: Diamondbacks can win with pitching
"First and foremost the Diamondbacks have a pretty good nucleus of starting pitching," ESPN MLB analyst Aaron Boone told Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf Tuesday when asked if the D-backs could win as presently constrcuted. "They have a chance to pitch."
Ian Kennedy, Wade Miley, Brandon McCarthy and Trevor Cahill will be part of the rotation, with Tyler Skaggs, Patrick Corbin and Randall Delgado vying for the fifth spot. Following them, Arizona's bullpen figures to be quite good, too.
The team will need it.
Boone pointed to the improvements made by the Los Angeles Dodgers and the reigning world champion San Francisco Giants -- along with a San Diego Padres team he believes will surprise people -- as reasons for why the NL West will be a difficult division.
But while many point to the losses of players like Justin Upton and Chris Young as reason for why the offense may take a hit, the team's ability to limit the hits opponents get may keep them in most games.
"But the Diamondbacks have good, solid every day players and a chance, in their rotation, to compete with the upper echelon teams," Boone said. "So I think they're a classic case of if things break right for them they have a chance in the National League West."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer