Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 11:59 am
New D-back Tony Campana will 'do anything'
With Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra, Cody Ross and Adam Eaton, the D-backs have four very capable players roaming the outfield this season.
Last week, they added even more depth, acquiring Tony Campana from the Chicago Cubs in an under-the-radar move.
The 26-year-old has played in 184 big league games over the last two seasons and just wants to contribute to his new team.
"I can do anything out there," Campana said Tuesday. "I can play any of the three at any time so just whatever they want me to do, I'll do."
With Campana in the fold along with Parra and Ross, Kirk Gibson has three outfielders that can play all three positions. That leads to a lot of roster flexibility for the fourth-year Arizona manager.
One of the roles Campana could fill in is pinch-runner. Campana swiped 54 bases in 59 attempts in his Chicago days and had 162 steals in just 349 minor league games.
"He can fly," Gibson said. "Ninety-two percent in stolen bases. He runs second-most anybody in the league, 39 percent of the time he gets on and he still makes it.
"It's certainly a weapon, something that we can utilize at some point."
Campana said it was 'a little weird' to be traded by the Cubs, but has a positive attitude during his first days in Sedona red.
"I'm just going to come in here and try to compete for a job and help them win any way I can," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Nationals win 9th in row, nip D-backs in 9th
- D-backs fall to Nationals in another walk-off: By The Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers will keep doing job 'until they take away my office key'
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.