Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 11:59 am
New D-back Tony Campana will 'do anything'
With Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra, Cody Ross and Adam Eaton, the D-backs have four very capable players roaming the outfield this season.
Last week, they added even more depth, acquiring Tony Campana from the Chicago Cubs in an under-the-radar move.
The 26-year-old has played in 184 big league games over the last two seasons and just wants to contribute to his new team.
"I can do anything out there," Campana said Tuesday. "I can play any of the three at any time so just whatever they want me to do, I'll do."
With Campana in the fold along with Parra and Ross, Kirk Gibson has three outfielders that can play all three positions. That leads to a lot of roster flexibility for the fourth-year Arizona manager.
One of the roles Campana could fill in is pinch-runner. Campana swiped 54 bases in 59 attempts in his Chicago days and had 162 steals in just 349 minor league games.
"He can fly," Gibson said. "Ninety-two percent in stolen bases. He runs second-most anybody in the league, 39 percent of the time he gets on and he still makes it.
"It's certainly a weapon, something that we can utilize at some point."
Campana said it was 'a little weird' to be traded by the Cubs, but has a positive attitude during his first days in Sedona red.
"I'm just going to come in here and try to compete for a job and help them win any way I can," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers complete two-game sweep of D-backs behind strong performances from Kershaw, Kemp
- Kershaw stymies D-backs as Dodgers sweep two-game set: By The Numbers
- Dose of Venom: Dodgers take advantage of wild Cahill, overturned calls in win over D-backs
- Dodgers' six-run inning does in Cahill, D-backs: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager: Six-man rotation probably on the way
- Tim Kurkjian - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday August 21Derrick Hall gives his thoughts on the new MLB commissioner.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 20Tim Kurkjian discusses the American League wild card race and the future of Kirk Gibson.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday August 20Kevin Towers talks about the future of the Arizona Diamondbacks.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.