Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 11:59 am
New D-back Tony Campana will 'do anything'
With Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra, Cody Ross and Adam Eaton, the D-backs have four very capable players roaming the outfield this season.
Last week, they added even more depth, acquiring Tony Campana from the Chicago Cubs in an under-the-radar move.
The 26-year-old has played in 184 big league games over the last two seasons and just wants to contribute to his new team.
"I can do anything out there," Campana said Tuesday. "I can play any of the three at any time so just whatever they want me to do, I'll do."
With Campana in the fold along with Parra and Ross, Kirk Gibson has three outfielders that can play all three positions. That leads to a lot of roster flexibility for the fourth-year Arizona manager.
One of the roles Campana could fill in is pinch-runner. Campana swiped 54 bases in 59 attempts in his Chicago days and had 162 steals in just 349 minor league games.
"He can fly," Gibson said. "Ninety-two percent in stolen bases. He runs second-most anybody in the league, 39 percent of the time he gets on and he still makes it.
"It's certainly a weapon, something that we can utilize at some point."
Campana said it was 'a little weird' to be traded by the Cubs, but has a positive attitude during his first days in Sedona red.
"I'm just going to come in here and try to compete for a job and help them win any way I can," he said.
Vince Marotta, Co-host - Bickley & Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?