Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Closer J.J. Putz on Trevor Bauer: 'He probably still doesn't know who he is yet'
Putz told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Monday that he did just that for former D-backs pitcher Trevor Bauer last season, but he wasn't sure his pearls of wisdom always clicked with the 22-year-old phenom.
"I spent a lot of time with Trevor back in spring training and then when he came up," said Putz. "The one thing I just couldn't wrap my head around was you have this catcher (in Miguel Montero) who is very successful back there. He catches every day. Why would you not want to lean on him and try to figure out what he's thinking you should do?
"And, he was totally against it. He had his mindset on one thing and wasn't going to change it. That goes back to just being stubborn."
While Bauer was shipped to Cleveland back in December in a three-team trade that netted the D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius and reliever Tony Sipp, the former No. 3 overall pick has remained a hot topic this spring following recent comments by both Montero and pitcher Ian Kennedy.
Putz believes the disconnect between Bauer and his Arizona teammates had more to do with age and inexperience than anything else.
"He was just so raw," said Putz. "He didn't really know and probably still doesn't know who he is yet. He's still learning and is a young kid."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Milestone homers highlight D-backs win over Pirates
- D-backs offense backs Collmenter in win over Pirates: By The Numbers
- D-backs' Towers on August waiver trade period: 'We're going to be active'
- Eric Chavez 'at ease' with his decision to retire at age 36
- Arizona Diamondbacks and their 2014 trades
- Bob Brenly, D-backs TV commentator - Thursday July 31D-backs TV commentator Bob Brenly says who he thinks are the teams to beat in MLB after the trade de
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President & CEO - Thursday July 31D-backs president and CEO Derrick Hall talks about the trade deadline.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.