Updated Feb 18, 2013 - 3:48 pm
Closer J.J. Putz on Trevor Bauer: 'He probably still doesn't know who he is yet'
Putz told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Monday that he did just that for former D-backs pitcher Trevor Bauer last season, but he wasn't sure his pearls of wisdom always clicked with the 22-year-old phenom.
"I spent a lot of time with Trevor back in spring training and then when he came up," said Putz. "The one thing I just couldn't wrap my head around was you have this catcher (in Miguel Montero) who is very successful back there. He catches every day. Why would you not want to lean on him and try to figure out what he's thinking you should do?
"And, he was totally against it. He had his mindset on one thing and wasn't going to change it. That goes back to just being stubborn."
While Bauer was shipped to Cleveland back in December in a three-team trade that netted the D-backs shortstop Didi Gregorius and reliever Tony Sipp, the former No. 3 overall pick has remained a hot topic this spring following recent comments by both Montero and pitcher Ian Kennedy.
Putz believes the disconnect between Bauer and his Arizona teammates had more to do with age and inexperience than anything else.
"He was just so raw," said Putz. "He didn't really know and probably still doesn't know who he is yet. He's still learning and is a young kid."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Arizona Diamondbacks' GM Kevin Towers on why he traded Tyler Skaggs
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.