Updated Feb 19, 2013 - 4:35 pm
D-backs closer J.J. Putz: 'The culture is different this year'
This winter, the D-backs replaced Chris Young, Justin Upton and Trevor Bauer with guys (Brandon McCarthy, Cody Ross, Eric Chavez, Eric Hinske, Heath Bell and Martin Prado) that appear to fit seamlessly with the type of versatile ballclub manager Kirk Gibson and general manager Kevin Towers believe can compete in a talented NL West division.
Some called the string of decisions a shift towards grittiness, but closer J.J. Putz, who signed a two-year deal with the team back in January, sees it a little differently.
"You have to remember Kevin Towers inherited a team," Putz told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Monday. "He's going to do what he believes is best to put a team on the field that is going to compete and win championships.
"I don't think that's a knock on anybody who was here last year that isn't here this year, I just think it's a big credit to the guys they brought in. They believe that much in the character of the guys that they brought in."
While the team has only officially been together for a little more than week, Putz said there's already a noticeable difference.
"You can tell early on in the clubhouse, the culture is just different this year," said Putz. "Everybody is holding one another accountable for things already.
"It's just a bunch of fun-loving guys in there."
When asked who among the newcomers has set the tone for the rest of the team, Putz said he's been impressed by Hinske and Ross.
"I think Eric Hinske just has a presence about him in the clubhouse," said Putz. "He's been around the game for awhile. He's a very well-respected guy.
"And the other one I would have to say, all the guys they've brought in are great, but Cody Ross just seeing him smile every day when he comes in the clubhouse. He brings light to it every single day."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Diamondbacks' Kirk Gibson: 'We did the best we could' with Brandon McCarthy
- Dose of Venom: Collmenter, Peralta use 'the force' to help secure D-backs sweep of Cubs
- Collmenter quiets Cubs as D-backs put finishing touches on sweep: By The Numbers
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.
- Bickley Blast - Tuesday July 15Is Major League Baseball dying?