Updated Feb 17, 2013 - 11:08 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'Consistency' key for Wade Miley in 2013
He may have lacked the hype Bryce Harper had going into the voting process, but the 26-year-old left-hander did just about everything he could to pace an inconsistent rotation last season. While Harper and the Nationals had their fare share of notable moments in 2012, without Miley's tremendous rookie campaign, the D-backs' 81-81 record would likely have been a lot worse.
In 194.2 innings of work, Miley went 16-11 with a 3.33 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP.
While manager Kirk Gibson joked Sunday that he expects Miley to throw 230 innings over the course of the regular season, postseason and World Series, the fact remains that if the D-backs do have visions of a deep postseason run, they'll certainly need help on the mound from their second-year starter.
"It's just about consistency with what he's done," Gibson said on what he expects of Miley in 2013. "He just needs to come out and trust his stuff, trust his catcher, just continue to get better in all aspects of the game."
Miley will definitely have some competition on his hands this spring, as general manager Kevin Towers made a concerted effort to bolster rotation depth this winter with the additions of Brandon McCarthy and Randall Delgado. Throw in youngsters Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin, and it should be quite a battle for the No. 4 and No. 5 spots behind Ian Kennedy, Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy.
For now, it's a battle that Gibson isn't ready to fully address just yet.
"It's just kind of a developing story," said Gibson. "They're all doing the same thing right now. In my mind there's nobody winning a job today or tomorrow. It's a cumulative thing all throughout the spring."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks reinstate A.J. Pollock and Chris Owings from DL
- MLB debutant delivers for Padres in win over D-backs
- Cahill, D-backs' offense struggle in loss to Padres: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks reinstate Daniel Hudson, Cody Ross from the disabled list
- Dose of Venom: Anderson dominates, Diamondbacks finish home stand with win over Rockies
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs Manager - Tuesday September 2Kirk Gibson discusses Daniel Hudson returning to the D-backs roster.
- Augie Ojeda, former Arizona Diamondback - Friday August 29Doug and Wolf chat with former Diamondback Augie Ojeda.
- Travis Lee, former D-backs first baseman - Thursday August 28Travis Lee shares some stories and memories from playing with the D-backs.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday August 28Derrick Hall discusses the home plate rule in the new instant replay system.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday August 27ESPN baseball analyst Tim Kurkjian believes Matt Williams is good for the Nationals.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 26D-backs manager Kirk Gibson discusses possible changes to a six-man rotation.
- Reggie Sanders - former Diamondbacks outfielder - Tuesday August 26Reggie Sanders discusses the Diamondbacks' alumni game coming up this Saturday.