Updated Feb 17, 2013 - 11:08 pm
D-backs manager Kirk Gibson: 'Consistency' key for Wade Miley in 2013
He may have lacked the hype Bryce Harper had going into the voting process, but the 26-year-old left-hander did just about everything he could to pace an inconsistent rotation last season. While Harper and the Nationals had their fare share of notable moments in 2012, without Miley's tremendous rookie campaign, the D-backs' 81-81 record would likely have been a lot worse.
In 194.2 innings of work, Miley went 16-11 with a 3.33 ERA and a 1.18 WHIP.
While manager Kirk Gibson joked Sunday that he expects Miley to throw 230 innings over the course of the regular season, postseason and World Series, the fact remains that if the D-backs do have visions of a deep postseason run, they'll certainly need help on the mound from their second-year starter.
"It's just about consistency with what he's done," Gibson said on what he expects of Miley in 2013. "He just needs to come out and trust his stuff, trust his catcher, just continue to get better in all aspects of the game."
Miley will definitely have some competition on his hands this spring, as general manager Kevin Towers made a concerted effort to bolster rotation depth this winter with the additions of Brandon McCarthy and Randall Delgado. Throw in youngsters Tyler Skaggs and Patrick Corbin, and it should be quite a battle for the No. 4 and No. 5 spots behind Ian Kennedy, Trevor Cahill and Brandon McCarthy.
For now, it's a battle that Gibson isn't ready to fully address just yet.
"It's just kind of a developing story," said Gibson. "They're all doing the same thing right now. In my mind there's nobody winning a job today or tomorrow. It's a cumulative thing all throughout the spring."
Dave Dulberg, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Anderson, Diamondbacks destroyed by Nationals for fourth loss in a row: By The Numbers
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson would be 'honored' to return next season
- Report: Arizona Diamondbacks plan to retain Kirk Gibson
- LaRoche's homer lifts Nationals to third straight walk-off in defeat of D-backs
- Nationals get third straight walk-off win, beat D-backs in extras: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday August 19Kirk Gibson talks about his future with the Diamondbacks.
- Who impressed/who depressed - Monday August 18Dan and Vince look back at who impressed and depressed them over the weekend.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Friday August 15Tim Kurkjian discusses what new commissioner Rob Manfred means for Major League Baseball.
- What's on your mind? - Friday August 15Vince Marotta shares what he is thinking about this week.
- Bob Nightengale- USA Today Sports MLB columnist - Friday August 15Bob Nightengale of USA Today Sports thinks Kirk Gibson could keep his job next season.
- Bickley Blast - Friday August 15There is a new commissioner in the MLB, and Dan Bickley previews the transition that is coming.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday August 13Dan worries that there may be a confrontation between Miguel Montero and Trevor Bauer coming.