Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' Kennedy: 'Hard to get through' to Trevor Bauer
One person that hadn't yet heard the track was D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy. Until Friday, when he went on the air with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo from his team's spring training home at the Salt River Fields.
"I want that minute of my life back," Kennedy said.
When offered $500 to use the rap as his walk-up song one time next season, Kennedy declined.
"I will never do that," he responded. "No, not for me."
Kennedy said he tried reaching out to the rookie, who made only five starts, during his major league stint.
"I tried talking to him a little bit, about two to three starts into it," Kennedy said. "I knew that he and Miggy weren't getting along and I just said, ‘hey, have you tried talking to Miggy?' and he said, ‘yeah, I talked to him today.' I said, ‘okay,' because the next day he was starting."
The veteran said he had worked through his own issues with Montero in the past and decided to offer the young pitcher advice from his own experience, but was unsuccessful in doing so.
"Miggy and I butted heads before but it was probably the best thing that happened and I told him about that. I said, ‘you just got to get over it and talk to him … I know you throw different than most guys but you still got to tell him what your game plan is and if it's changing you need to talk to him in between innings'.
"I tried and it was pretty hard to get through," Kennedy said.
- Debut in the books, Mike Bolsinger prepares for first start
- Arizona Diamondbacks to wear special throwback jersey against Chicago Cubs
- Arizona Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers says on-field product is his responsibility
- Didi Gregorius off to hot start with Triple-A Reno
- D-backs GM on pitching struggles: 'I've never seen anything like it'
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 16Can the D-backs weather the storm?
- Jay Franklin, Archie Bradley's agent - Tuesday April 15Archie Bradley's agent clarifies his comments he made while talking to Ken Rosenthal.
- Mike Bolsinger, D-backs pitcher - Tuesday April 15D-backs pitcher Mike Bolsinger talks about his MLB debut.
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 15D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's pitching woes.
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Analyst - Tuesday April 15Is Kevin Towers to blame for the D-backs’ start to the season?
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday April 10What do the D-backs need to do to get back on track?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Wednesday April 9ESPN MLB analyst Tim Kurkjian discusses the D-backs' tough start.