Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:38 pm
D-backs' Kennedy: 'Hard to get through' to Trevor Bauer
One person that hadn't yet heard the track was D-backs pitcher Ian Kennedy. Until Friday, when he went on the air with Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo from his team's spring training home at the Salt River Fields.
"I want that minute of my life back," Kennedy said.
When offered $500 to use the rap as his walk-up song one time next season, Kennedy declined.
"I will never do that," he responded. "No, not for me."
Kennedy said he tried reaching out to the rookie, who made only five starts, during his major league stint.
"I tried talking to him a little bit, about two to three starts into it," Kennedy said. "I knew that he and Miggy weren't getting along and I just said, ‘hey, have you tried talking to Miggy?' and he said, ‘yeah, I talked to him today.' I said, ‘okay,' because the next day he was starting."
The veteran said he had worked through his own issues with Montero in the past and decided to offer the young pitcher advice from his own experience, but was unsuccessful in doing so.
"Miggy and I butted heads before but it was probably the best thing that happened and I told him about that. I said, ‘you just got to get over it and talk to him … I know you throw different than most guys but you still got to tell him what your game plan is and if it's changing you need to talk to him in between innings'.
"I tried and it was pretty hard to get through," Kennedy said.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.