Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 4:28 pm
Eric Chavez respects his role with Diamondbacks
One of those new faces was infielder Eric Chavez, who was picked up as a free agent after leaving the New York Yankees.
The 15-year veteran was brought in to provide depth on the left side of the infield.
The layout of the D-backs is something that attracted Chavez to the Valley, and says the team presents a lot of upside.
"What they're trying to do here is build an atmosphere of playing the game right: show up to play every single day, play hard ... build a good nucleus (and) a good clubhouse," said Chavez.
Cody Ross, Brandon McCarthy, Martin Prado and Eric Hinske are all new additions that bring a team-first mentality, and Chavez said that's what makes a winning team.
"The personalities here are very selfless," said Chavez. "We're going to play for one another, we're going to have each other's back (and) hold each other accountable. That's the atmosphere they're trying to build here ... to surround that around Gibson, the way he played.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Chavez, a third baseman, will find playing time at the hot corner hard to come by after the acquisition of Prado in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta. But that does not matter to him, as Chavez has the utmost respect for the former Brave.
"It doesn't matter," said Chavez. "Prado is a stud. He's one of the top 20-25 players in the game.
"Within the game, he's got a lot of respect. I think the fans here in the Valley are going to be very happy he's here."
Chavez knows and respects the role manager Kirk Gibson has for him.
"I'm not the type of guy ... I don't need anything," said Chavez. "Gibby asked me how many at bats I want, and I said 'Gibby, I don't care.'
"I'll be ready to go every single day. I know I'm going to pinch hit a lot, (and) I'm looking forward to that."
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Trumbo, Anderson dealt as winter meetings pick up
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday November 21Kirk Gibson says he thinks the Diamondbacks will win a World Series in Arizona.