Eric Chavez respects his role with Diamondbacks
One of those new faces was infielder Eric Chavez, who was picked up as a free agent after leaving the New York Yankees.
The 15-year veteran was brought in to provide depth on the left side of the infield.
The layout of the D-backs is something that attracted Chavez to the Valley, and says the team presents a lot of upside.
"What they're trying to do here is build an atmosphere of playing the game right: show up to play every single day, play hard ... build a good nucleus (and) a good clubhouse," said Chavez.
Cody Ross, Brandon McCarthy, Martin Prado and Eric Hinske are all new additions that bring a team-first mentality, and Chavez said that's what makes a winning team.
"The personalities here are very selfless," said Chavez. "We're going to play for one another, we're going to have each other's back (and) hold each other accountable. That's the atmosphere they're trying to build here ... to surround that around Gibson, the way he played.
"I'm really looking forward to it."
Chavez, a third baseman, will find playing time at the hot corner hard to come by after the acquisition of Prado in the Justin Upton trade with Atlanta. But that does not matter to him, as Chavez has the utmost respect for the former Brave.
"It doesn't matter," said Chavez. "Prado is a stud. He's one of the top 20-25 players in the game.
"Within the game, he's got a lot of respect. I think the fans here in the Valley are going to be very happy he's here."
Chavez knows and respects the role manager Kirk Gibson has for him.
"I'm not the type of guy ... I don't need anything," said Chavez. "Gibby asked me how many at bats I want, and I said 'Gibby, I don't care.'
"I'll be ready to go every single day. I know I'm going to pinch hit a lot, (and) I'm looking forward to that."
- Eric Chavez - Friday May 17D-Backs 3rd baseman Eric Chavez joined Burns & Gambo to discuss his recent hot streak.
- Tim Kurkjian - Thursday May 16ESPN MLB Insider Tim Kurkjian joined Burns and Gambo to discuss the development of Diamondbacks star
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday May 15KT talks to Doug & Wolf about the big win over the Braves!
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Monday May 13Law talks to Doug & Wolf about Justin Upton's return to AZ.
- Heath Bell, D-backs pitcher - Friday May 10Bell talks to Doug & Wolf about Sushi and the mentality of a closer