Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 3:51 pm
D-backs' Brad Ziegler: 'We feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball'
Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers focused a lot of his attention this offseason on crafting one of major league baseball's elite bullpens.
Towers added veteran Heath Bell, Tony Sipp and Matt Reynolds to a cast that already includes closer J.J. Putz, David Hernandez, Josh Collmenter and ground ball specialist Brad Ziegler.
Ziegler assumed a pivotal role in the D-backs bullpen late in games last season. The right-hander posted a 6-1 record with a 2.49 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 17 holds and 42 strikeouts in 68.2 IP.
The 33-year-old reliever thinks the D-backs bullpen could indeed prove to be the game's best.
"On paper sky's the limit," Ziegler told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Friday. "I don't think there's any question we feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball and now it's just a matter of going out and proving it."
The importance of building a standout bullpen is crucial when constructing a winning ball club, and Ziegler is confident the D-backs' relievers ability to close out games consistently will help them contend in a deep NL West.
"I think it's a huge point," Ziegler said. "Having starters that can go deep into games, keep us in games is huge. Then we have guys that are not going to give up leads that helps give the whole team confidence."
Ziegler knows despite the strength of the bullpen on paper, it's up to the players to go out on a nightly basis and prove they are worthy of the offseason accolades bestowed upon them.
"No one's going to hand it to us late in the game. We got to go out and execute pitches and go out and do the little things," Ziegler said. "You've got to focus every single pitch, get your one inning in there, get out of the game and let the guys after you take care of the business."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.