Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 3:51 pm
D-backs' Brad Ziegler: 'We feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball'
Arizona Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers focused a lot of his attention this offseason on crafting one of major league baseball's elite bullpens.
Towers added veteran Heath Bell, Tony Sipp and Matt Reynolds to a cast that already includes closer J.J. Putz, David Hernandez, Josh Collmenter and ground ball specialist Brad Ziegler.
Ziegler assumed a pivotal role in the D-backs bullpen late in games last season. The right-hander posted a 6-1 record with a 2.49 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, 17 holds and 42 strikeouts in 68.2 IP.
The 33-year-old reliever thinks the D-backs bullpen could indeed prove to be the game's best.
"On paper sky's the limit," Ziegler told Arizona Sports 620's Burns & Gambo Friday. "I don't think there's any question we feel like we are the best bullpen in baseball and now it's just a matter of going out and proving it."
The importance of building a standout bullpen is crucial when constructing a winning ball club, and Ziegler is confident the D-backs' relievers ability to close out games consistently will help them contend in a deep NL West.
"I think it's a huge point," Ziegler said. "Having starters that can go deep into games, keep us in games is huge. Then we have guys that are not going to give up leads that helps give the whole team confidence."
Ziegler knows despite the strength of the bullpen on paper, it's up to the players to go out on a nightly basis and prove they are worthy of the offseason accolades bestowed upon them.
"No one's going to hand it to us late in the game. We got to go out and execute pitches and go out and do the little things," Ziegler said. "You've got to focus every single pitch, get your one inning in there, get out of the game and let the guys after you take care of the business."
Daria Del Colliano, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Arizona Diamondbacks' Bronson Arroyo may not be ready at start of season
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley excited to pitch in Australia
- Signing with Arizona Diamondbacks 'perfect' for Oliver Perez
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.