Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 12:11 pm
Ken Kendrick: Diamondbacks ‘built to win' this season
Now, as the team embarks on its 16th season, a sixth playoff appearance is the goal.
"We focused on putting a team together that we thought was principally built to win," managing general partner Ken Kendrick said. "We have a lot of guys that have had a tradition of winning, not only here but in other places. We have high expectations for them."
Gone are Stephen Drew, Justin Upton and Chris Young.
On board are Eric Chavez, Cliff Pennington, Martin Prado and Cody Ross.
"I think the type of team it is, and I told them this," Kendrick said after addressing the players prior to the first full squad workout of spring training. "I used a phrase that's certainly been used before: There's no limit to what you can accomplish so long as you're not concerned about who gets the credit. I think we have the kind of players that can buy into that and go out and perform at a level that makes us very competitive."
The Diamondbacks, who last year finished 81-81, are less than two years removed from winning the NL West in 2011. Reaching the top spot again won't be easy.
"We play now in a division where we have one team with the most expensive payroll (Dodgers)," Kendrick said. "We have a team defending a world championship (Giants). We have another team that had a very strong second half last year (Padres). We have some real strong competitors but we think we're good. Beating those guys is the mission and we believe we can do it."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.