Updated Feb 15, 2013 - 12:11 pm
Ken Kendrick: Diamondbacks ‘built to win' this season
Now, as the team embarks on its 16th season, a sixth playoff appearance is the goal.
"We focused on putting a team together that we thought was principally built to win," managing general partner Ken Kendrick said. "We have a lot of guys that have had a tradition of winning, not only here but in other places. We have high expectations for them."
Gone are Stephen Drew, Justin Upton and Chris Young.
On board are Eric Chavez, Cliff Pennington, Martin Prado and Cody Ross.
"I think the type of team it is, and I told them this," Kendrick said after addressing the players prior to the first full squad workout of spring training. "I used a phrase that's certainly been used before: There's no limit to what you can accomplish so long as you're not concerned about who gets the credit. I think we have the kind of players that can buy into that and go out and perform at a level that makes us very competitive."
The Diamondbacks, who last year finished 81-81, are less than two years removed from winning the NL West in 2011. Reaching the top spot again won't be easy.
"We play now in a division where we have one team with the most expensive payroll (Dodgers)," Kendrick said. "We have a team defending a world championship (Giants). We have another team that had a very strong second half last year (Padres). We have some real strong competitors but we think we're good. Beating those guys is the mission and we believe we can do it."
Craig Grialou, Reporter
- Eric Chavez announces retirement after 17 years in majors
- Arizona Diamondbacks take series from Cincinnati: By the Numbers
- D-backs GM Kevin Towers: If it makes our team better, we'll listen
- Diamondbacks shutout by Leake and co.: By The Numbers
- 5 Arizona Diamondbacks named among top 100 prospects by MLB.com
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 30ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses the MLB trade deadline.
- Kevin Towers- D-backs GM - Wednesday July 30Kevin Towers talks about the trade deadline and the state of the youth in the organization.
- Kirk Gibson- Dbacks manager - Tuesday July 29What else can Major League Baseball do to enforce the blocking the plate rule?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Tuesday July 29ESPN MLB Insider Keith Law gauges the value in the D-backs’ potential trade pieces.
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.