Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 4:25 pm
Vasgersian: GM Towers molding D-backs into SF Giants
Vasgersian told Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo that general manager Kevin Towers' offseason moves are an attempt to become like the San Francisco Giants.
"This is probably what Kevin has looked at, he needs to only look at the team that has won two of the last three World Series that plays just north of (Phoenix) in San Francisco," he said. "They share a division, he sees what they have there, and they have had a collection of that type of player win for them the last few years."
The MLB network personality compared one of San Francisco's key acquisitions at the trade deadline last year to Arizona's most recent get.
"Marco Scutaro, versatile -- hits everywhere in the lineup and plays multiple positions -- that's your Prado type," he said.
Vasgersian highlighted the type of character the Giants' players possess that Towers is trying emulate in his clubhouse.
"When Hunter Pence became a Giant he brought more of that 'dirtbag baseball' guy mentality to that city -- fight, scrap, scratch and grind," Vasgersian said. "I think that the guys that run that team in Arizona have looked at the Giants and said ‘here's part of their success and that's something we can probably execute too'.
"And if in fact that's what they're doing, I think they've looked at the Giants as a prototype there."
- Derrick Hall - D-backs president and CEO - Thursday July 24Derrick Hall talks about the approaching trade deadline.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 23Kirk Gibson could be close to being a part of another miracle.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday July 23D-backs GM Kevin Towers talks about the upcoming trade deadline.
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.