Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 2:38 pm
Cody Ross feels no pressure to fill Justin Upton's spot
When Ross signed there was additional speculation that one of Arizona's outfielders would need to be traded because of the logjam at that position, with Justin Upton, Jason Kubel, Gerardo Parra, Adam Eaton and A.J. Pollock vying for just three spots.
Upton was eventually the player that got moved in a trade with Atlanta. Thursday, at Salt River Fields, Ross was asked if he "feels any pressure filling Upton's shoes" in right field.
"No, no, no. No, absolutely not. You know Justin is a great player. He's one of the top players in the big leagues but I've been around for a long time," said the 32-year-old Ross. "I don't feel the pressure to come in and step in and replace guys. Maybe when I was 20 but now I'm 32, come on man."
Ross has said when he signed with the D-backs they did not tell him that a trade of existing outfielder would be made. He also has no idea which of the outfield positions he'll be playing on a daily basis.
"They didn't tell me where I'm going to play, what I'm going to play or where I'm going to hit. They just told me to be ready and I told them anywhere they need me to be, I'll be," said Ross. "When they traded Justin they didn't say, ‘hey you're our right fielder.' Chances are I'll probably play there a lot but I told them I can play center, I can play left. Whatever they need me to do."
That's what makes Ross such a valuable guy on the field and in the clubhouse. His approach to the game is that whatever is best for the team that day, that is what he's willing to do.
"I think that's the mentality of our whole team," he said. "We got a lot of versatile guys that can mix in and use in certain spots to help keep guys fresh and help keep guys healthy."
Kyndra de St. Aubin, Reporter - Arizona Sports 98.7
- Paul Goldschmidt named D-backs winner for Heart and Hustle Award
- Arizona Diamondbacks manager Gibson: If Brandon McCarthy wanted to throw the cutter, he should have thrown the cutter
- Arizona Diamondbacks place Cody Ross on 15-day DL
- Dose of Venom: Miguel Cabrera showcases MVP talent as Tigers squeak past Diamondbacks
- Detroit Tigers fend off Arizona Diamondbacks: By The Numbers
- Kirk Gibson- D-backs Manager - Tuesday July 22Did the D-backs tell Brandon McCarthy not to throw his cutter?
- Paul Goldschmidt, D-backs first baseman - Friday July 18Paul Goldschmidt talks about the All-Star Game and his expectations for the season's second half.
- Our Guy Harry - Thursday July 17Our Guy Harry joins Dan and Vince in studio.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president & CEO - Thursday July 17Derrick Hall on Paul Goldschmidt's leadership abilities and the future of Brad Ziegler.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday July 16ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses Derek Jeter’s impact on the MLB.
- Bickley Blast - Wednesday July 16Did Adam Wainwright intentionally give Derek Jeter a pitch to hit in Tuesday night's All-Star Game?
- Tony La Russa, D-backs Chief Baseball Officer - Wednesday July 16D-backs CBO Tony La Russa talks about Tuesday’s All-Star Game.