Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 5:12 pm
Vasgersian: Not first time someone hasn't vibed with Montero
At Saturday's Diamondbacks' Fan Fest, Montero admitted he had some issues with the young phenom in 2012, saying Bauer refused to listen to him.
Wednesday, Bauer posted a rap song online titled, "You Don't Know Me", responding to claims made by the Arizona backstop with lyrics such as, "You hide behind a mask to facilitate a task, but you don't know me."
The war of words between the two athletes led MLB Network's Matt Vasgersian to chime in on Arizona Sports 620's Burns and Gambo about the situation. Vasgersian told the show the D-backs should have seen warning signs of Bauer's "what you see is what you get" persona before signing him last year.
"Trevor Bauer put out there this is what I am, this is who I am and I'm not going to change, so draft with that in mind," he said. "The Diamondbacks did, and when he refused to change, as he said he wasn't going to, there was a problem with that."
Vasgersian said Montero has had issues in the D-backs' clubhouse before.
"This isn't the first time that a pitcher or somebody involved with the D-backs organization hasn't vibed with Montero," Vasgersian said. "There was the whole philosophy when he was a younger catcher, when he was splitting time with Chris Snyder that Bob Melvin, who was the manager then, preferred Snyder's game calling to Montero's. Again, his prerogative, as an ex-big league catcher and as the guy who managed the team at the time he felt more comfortable with Snyder.
"Now that Montero is a little older, the roles are reversed and I guess Miguel Montero feels that he should be the guy that should be deferred to in situations where there's a young pitcher."
With reports that the song was recorded last December, well before Montero spoke out, Vasgersian said it only makes the drama more interesting in the midst of a media flurry around the two.
"The whole thing, it's been good for business as we like to say because it's really fascinating to talk about and if this rap song in fact was recorded before Montero made the comments… at Fan Fest last weekend, then it's really interesting, then it tells you it's really been burning for a while," he said.
- D-backs go 3-4 on road trip, prepare for homestand vs. Phillies, Rockies
- D-backs' Mike Bolsinger shines in series finale at Wrigley: By The Numbers
- Bolsinger earns 1st MLB win, D-backs top Cubs
- D-backs place outfielder Mark Trumbo on 15-day D.L.
- Diamondbacks' Mark Trumbo out indefinitely with stress fracture in foot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs president and CEO - Thursday April 24Did yesterday’s win save Kirk Gibson’s job?
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB insider - Wednesday April 23ESPN MLB insider Tim Kurkjian discusses what the D-backs need to do to turn things around.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday April 23What can be done to save the season?
- Kirk Gibson, D-backs manager - Tuesday April 22D-backs manager Kirk Gibson talks about the team's struggles.
- Bickley Blast - Monday April 21Dan goes off on the struggling D-backs.
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB Insider - Thursday April 17Tim Kurkjian talks about the Diamondbacks' tough start to the season.
- Bickley Blast - Thursday April 17Bickley blasts Kevin Towers' philosophy and the need for an analytics GM.