Updated Feb 14, 2013 - 1:57 pm
D-backs' Corbin confident heading into rotation competition
One of the more interesting ones will be the competition for the fifth starting pitching spot.
The Diamondbacks have several candidates for the job, including 23-year-old Patrick Corbin, who feels like he's ready to claim the job.
"I know I can pitch up here," Corbin said Thursday. "There's those games that you learn a lot from and that's just one thing that I'm going to take from last year and just try to move forward on it."
Corbin started the 2012 campaign at Double-A Mobile after pitching a team-high 21 innings in Cactus League play. But he got an early-season promotion to the Majors and made his debut in a 9-5 win over the Miami Marlins on April 30.
After three weeks with Arizona, Corbin was sent back to the minors. He'd eventually get promoted and sent down again before getting called up for good August 1. He says that process helped him get more comfortable pitching at the game's highest level.
"The first time I was up here last year, I kind of wasn't myself at all, and that's probably the biggest thing I learned is just to be yourself out there," Corbin said.
He went on to explain that he got help in that area from pitching coach Charles Nagy, catcher Miguel Montero and pitcher Ian Kennedy. "That's one thing that they preached to me was to just be myself and the second time I up, when I got sent down,that's what I did."
Corbin, along with fellow left-hander Tyler Skaggs and recently acquired Randall Delgado, seem to be the front-runners for the last spot in the rotation.
"Me and Skaggs are close buddies and even when were with the Angels, whoever threw that day, we'd always try to beat them the next day," he said. "I know (Kirk Gibson) loves a good competition around here and it just shows the talent that they have in this organization."
Vince Marotta, Co-host Dan Bickley Show with Vince Marotta, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Your nighty is in a knot
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.
- Jerry Crasnick, ESPN.com baseball writer - Monday March 3Jerry Crasnick previews the 2014 NL West.