Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 5:51 pm
Diamondbacks GM Towers: Los Angeles Dodgers don't scare me
Their payroll has ballooned to over $200 million, and their roster is as star-studded as any in baseball.
Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Zack Grienke, Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Ted Lilly.
OK, maybe Ted Lilly doesn't in that group, but the point remains. This Dodgers team is loaded, and the Arizona Diamondbacks have to compete with them in the NL West.
Asked if the Dodgers scare or worry him, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers gave Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf an emphatic "no".
"I will say this: All my years in San Diego, we felt very comfortable in Chavez Ravine when I was with San Diego, and I think they knew it, we played them well," he said. "Since I've been with the Diamondbacks we play them well.
"I don't know what it is, but when you go to San Francisco it's a tough environment, you feel it. For some reason, we've always felt somewhat comfortable -- either being with the Padres or the Diamondbacks, regardless of how much they spent."
The Diamondbacks have won 12 of 18 games in Los Angeles since 2011, which was Towers' first season in Arizona. So there is truth to his claim that the D-backs seem to have little trouble playing in the City of Angels.
"I don't know if we get up for them or we feel we can play with them, but they don't scare me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- D-backs finalize deal with LHP Oliver Perez
- Diamondbacks' Archie Bradley to pitch in Australia, ‘still in the mix' to pitch in big leagues
- D-backs send Barrett, Stites to Minor League camp, option De La Rosa, Marte to Triple-A Reno
- Report: Diamondbacks to sign LHP Oliver Perez
- Site takes in-depth look at D-backs offseason
- Pedro Gomez, ESPN MLB reporter - Monday March 10Pedro Gomez discusses Barry Bonds' return to the Giants.
- Derrick Hall, D-backs President and CEO - Thursday March 6How is the battle at shortstop going for the D-backs?
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday March 5How important is it for professional athletes to have good character?
- Alan Trammell, D-backs bench coach - Tuesday March 4D-backs bench coach Alan Trammell discusses Archie Bradley's impressive Cactus League debut.
- Archie Bradley, Diamondbacks pitcher - Tuesday March 4Archie Bradley discusses his first Cactus League start against the Rockies.
- Richard Justice, MLB.com correspondent - Tuesday March 4Is baseball held to a higher standard than other sports?
- Brad Ziegler, D-backs relief pitcher - Monday March 3D-backs relief pitcher Brad Ziegler discusses the upcoming season.