Updated Feb 13, 2013 - 5:51 pm
Diamondbacks GM Towers: Los Angeles Dodgers don't scare me
Their payroll has ballooned to over $200 million, and their roster is as star-studded as any in baseball.
Matt Kemp, Carl Crawford, Zack Grienke, Clayton Kershaw, Andre Ethier, Hanley Ramirez, Adrian Gonzalez, Ted Lilly.
OK, maybe Ted Lilly doesn't in that group, but the point remains. This Dodgers team is loaded, and the Arizona Diamondbacks have to compete with them in the NL West.
Asked if the Dodgers scare or worry him, Diamondbacks general manager Kevin Towers gave Arizona Sports 620's Doug and Wolf an emphatic "no".
"I will say this: All my years in San Diego, we felt very comfortable in Chavez Ravine when I was with San Diego, and I think they knew it, we played them well," he said. "Since I've been with the Diamondbacks we play them well.
"I don't know what it is, but when you go to San Francisco it's a tough environment, you feel it. For some reason, we've always felt somewhat comfortable -- either being with the Padres or the Diamondbacks, regardless of how much they spent."
The Diamondbacks have won 12 of 18 games in Los Angeles since 2011, which was Towers' first season in Arizona. So there is truth to his claim that the D-backs seem to have little trouble playing in the City of Angels.
"I don't know if we get up for them or we feel we can play with them, but they don't scare me."
Adam Green, Web Content Editor - ArizonaSports.com
- Kurkjian: Trumbo ‘absolutely' worth a shot for D-backs
- D-backs select pitchers Marcos Mateo, Michael Lee and Hector Hernandez in Rule 5 Draft
- The Pulse: D-backs fans like the Trumbo trade
- Mark Trumbo trade looks like another admission of a previous mistake
- Mark Trumbo 'super excited' to stick in left field with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- Tim Kurkjian, ESPN MLB analyst - Thursday December 12Did the D-backs pick up a true power hitter?
- Mark Trumbo, Diamondbacks Outfielder - Wednesday December 11Mark Trumbo joins the show to discuss being traded to the Diamondbacks.
- Kevin Towers, D-backs GM - Wednesday December 11Why did the D-backs add Mark Trumbo and will they make more moves?
- Keith Law, ESPN MLB Insider - Wednesday December 11Law explains why the D-backs trade for Mark Trumbo will not work.
- Ken Kendrick, Arizona Diamondbacks Owner - Friday November 22Kendrick joins the show to talk about the Diamondbacks' offseason plans.